Author Topic: Drifter 440 Airbox  (Read 3405 times)

ltd440snowrider

Drifter 440 Airbox
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »
I have a 79 Drifter 440. Whenever I try to run it with the airbox on it it will run fine to start out. Eventually it bogs out and dies. As soon as I rip the airbox off it fires right back up and runs like a champ. What should I try in order to be able to run it with the box on? I have a carb rebuild kit for it. What do you think is causing this problem? I have never taken the airbox apart.

As a side note my riding buddy has numerous Drifter 440's and he has the same issues with all of them. I'd sure like to tell him I solved the problem!  ;D

jimvw57

Re: Drifter 440 Airbox
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »
Might be mice nesting inside the airbox, or a plugged screen? or maybe sucking snow in and plugging things up?  just a couple of ideas...

ltd440snowrider

Re: Drifter 440 Airbox Drifter owners please help!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
Ok- I just split the air box in half. No critters in there. I followed the repair manual's direction to insert a rolled up piece of paper inside the screen (repair manual calls it a pipe) to ensure it lines up with the two halves correctly then pulled out the paper. It looks like it's lined up properly. The manual say's to run a bead of silicone around the seam to seal it up. I think I'll try that.

Anyone out there in Kawasaki land have luck running Drifters with the air box on? I posted the same question a few years back and someone replied that one of the O rings inside the carburetor might be bad. I don't remember who replied or exactly which O ring they were referring to.  :o :o

Trucker

Re: Drifter 440 Airbox Drifter owners please help!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Ok- I just split the air box in half. No critters in there. I followed the repair manual's direction to insert a rolled up piece of paper inside the screen (repair manual calls it a pipe) to ensure it lines up with the two halves correctly then pulled out the paper. It looks like it's lined up properly. The manual say's to run a bead of silicone around the seam to seal it up. I think I'll try that.

Anyone out there in Kawasaki land have luck running Drifters with the air box on? I posted the same question a few years back and someone replied that one of the O rings inside the carburetor might be bad. I don't remember who replied or exactly which O ring they were referring to.  :o :o
the oring that seals into the hole in the bottom of the bowl

ltd440snowrider

Re: Drifter 440 Airbox
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:24 AM »
Thanks Trucker! I'll replace that one!