Author Topic: Question for trucker on his 77 sst comment  (Read 3431 times)

snojet71

Question for trucker on his 77 sst comment
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
In one of Trucker's replies, you stated that 77 Astros had a mix of Yama and Kawi engines.   I didnt know that . I thought sst had Yamas and Astros had Kawi engines .   I've got a bunch of these 77's and,,,,,,,now that you mention it,  I bought one parts sled that had an Astro hood but Yama 440.   I thought someone changed the hood.    Had gauges and ski shocks too.           Got any more detail on that?   Like Early build vs late build, different engines????     Thanks
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is that 77 Astro with a Yama "super rare"??          LOL

Trucker

Re: Question for trucker on his 77 sst comment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
Just the early 77 production would have had the Yamaha motor to used up the stock they had left  and then they switched to the kawi motors.

DicemanSST

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:59 AM »
In one of Trucker's replies, you stated that 77 Astros had a mix of Yama and Kawi engines.   I didnt know that . I thought sst had Yamas and Astros had Kawi engines .   I've got a bunch of these 77's and,,,,,,,now that you mention it,  I bought one parts sled that had an Astro hood but Yama 440.   I thought someone changed the hood.    Had gauges and ski shocks too.           Got any more detail on that?   Like Early build vs late build, different engines????     Thanks
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is that 77 Astro with a Yama "super rare"??          LOL

I am under the understanding that the Astro with a Yamaha engine was 340 and the sst was a 440....when they went to straight Kawasaki engines the 340 and 440 were both called Astro in 77....see the link.....ps- you know where the cdi box is on the sst?...Cheers DicemanSST

http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/1977_KAWASAKI_SNO_JET_5.html

kawhead

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
all 77 astros had kaw motors,sst used up the yammies,sst had std shocks and guages,astros were an dealer option...

Trucker

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
I guess i have to correct my statement it was the early 76 models that used Yamaha motors and a few of the late 76 models did get the Kawasaki motor in the astro

DicemanSST

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
I think some of the astros had a 340 Yamaha engine in it...from this spec sheet it looks like that anyway...I have seen a few 340 Astos with Yammies in them....check the link out...Cheers

http://kawasakitrax.com/77models.htm

Invader440

• Up Norte Dere in Fosston, Mn
    • Curt's Snowmobiling Page
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
I think some of the astros had a 340 Yamaha engine in it...from this spec sheet it looks like that anyway...I have seen a few 340 Astos with Yammies in them....check the link out...Cheers

http://kawasakitrax.com/77models.htm

Where do you see that?  SST has the Yammie engine and the Astro has the TA Kawi engine.