Author Topic: elec. problem 82 intruder need a little help  (Read 3385 times)

309nathan

elec. problem 82 intruder need a little help
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:03:32 AM »
o.k. I was riding along and switched lights from dim to bright or visaversa don't really know anyway all my lights went out (headlight, tail, dash). I proceeded back to the shop and discovered with my meter that the lighting system was lacking a ground. While tracing the brn. w/ yellow stripe looking for the origin of the ground I end up at that box bolted to the right side frame which ( help me out here) I think is the CDI. Now not to complicate things but this sled is elec. start w/ a good battery if I give the system a ground w/ a piece of wire all the lights work perfect until I unhook battery then they are really dim. I am thinking the system derives its ground through the CDI which must have went bad the weird thing is it still runs perfect. Please tell me if I am off base before I start replacing parts. Thanks always, Nate.

mswyka

Re: elec. problem 82 intruder need a little help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:42:50 AM »
Nate, the  small box bolted to the frame should be the voltage regulator.  The electric start version should have 4 wires leading to a single plug into the wiring harness.  The battery should be grounded to the frame, the starter should be grounded to the frame, the voltage regulator - by virtue of being bolted to the frame - is also a point of ground, and there should be a wiring harness ground in the same vicinity as the voltage regulator.  Bad voltage regulator should not affect engine operation.

Do you have a wiring diagram?  If so, trace out your wires to be sure everything is connected properly.  Check the 5 pin connector at the engine to make sure that it is seated properly and all the pins are making good contact.  Check the output on your lighting coil to confirm that it is making the proper voltage - 14 to 16 volts give or take.  it sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere and/or one of the elements in your headlamp is burned out.  If light intensity varies excessively with engine rpm and bulbs burn out there is likely a problem with the voltage regulator.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Trucker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »
Just a FYI, Running and electric start sled without a battery can damage the voltage regulator/rectifier which is the box on the inside of the bulkhead.

kawhead

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »
imo trucker is right on except no can about it,will fry the rec/reg in seconds

309nathan

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »
I ran it the first time this year with a very dead battery so I assume that would be the same as no battery therefore wrecking my voltage regulator. I am 90% sure the ground is derived through it so there must be an open circuit inside causing the problem. I thoroughly traced the wiring and every connector is perfect. I have looked on ebay and they have lots of simple rectifiers for kawis but no like mine on the 82. Other than calling image is there a place that has these?

Checkmarks

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:05:55 AM »
You can likely get one at Radio Shack of all places.  It does not have to be exact.  The function will be exact convert AC to DC.  The cost is something like ten clams or less.