Author Topic: 1978 invader and intruder 440 tracks  (Read 7316 times)

Rodney19

1978 invader and intruder 440 tracks
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
Hello, Is there a source for brand new tracks for these snowmobiles. We bought these at an auction and they had 400 miles on them and had not been used since 1978. I joined this site and read up on these "bikes". I read that they must have the crank seals replaced...I have brought many motorcycles back from the grave... so we bought a clutch puller and away we go...replaced all seals and gaskets, cleaned carbs, cleaned tanks, ran new fuel and oil lines...we put about 50 miles on them and with my need for speed I wanted to see if they could keep my interest...at 60 mph they got severe belt slap in the tunnel...I adjusted the tracks and at 60 mph all was good...at second burst to 60 belt slap again, this time it did not stop...1 of the metal bars came loose on one side and with inspection one is missing...these bikes look like brand new and the engines run great but it seams if I can't replace the tracks I'm dead in the water.....HELP!!!! We are in Ohio, my name is Rodney 330-904-6704

JDmatt

Re: 1978 invader and intruder 440 tracks
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »
You mentioned metal bars - if your track looks like this kind, they were recalled and replaced with a all rubber track.  I don't know if any new tracks are available, but I have a used one if you are interested.  The track conversion also came with different size rear idlers and 4 instead of 3.  I also have a set of those with new bearings installed I can sell. 

Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:23 PM »

Any 15*121    1 inch lug track like the new sleds use will work. Some of them you need to change some of the spacing of idler wheels.

I haven't done the switch but others on here have.  Makes a great upgrade. 

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

Rodney19

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
JDmat
Thanks I do have bars but they look to have only 1 rivet at each end and they look to be thinner bars

Rodney19

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
You mentioned metal bars - if your track looks like this kind, they were recalled and replaced with a all rubber track.  I don't know if any new tracks are available, but I have a used one if you are interested.  The track conversion also came with different size rear idlers and 4 instead of 3.  I also have a set of those with new bearings installed I can sell.
thanks JDmatt mine look different the bars have 1 rivet at each end, and bars are maybe thinner

Rodney19

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Any 15*121    1 inch lug track like the new sleds use will work. Some of them you need to change some of the spacing of idler wheels.

Lloyd
thanks...do you know who I could call to buy what i need?

kawhead

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
pat k on this site had oem kaw track kits at one time, maybe trucker or interceptor 398 has contact info?

Rodney19

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Hello, Is there a source for brand new tracks for these snowmobiles. We bought these at an auction and they had 400 miles on them and had not been used since 1978. I joined this site and read up on these "bikes". I read that they must have the crank seals replaced...I have brought many motorcycles back from the grave... so we bought a clutch puller and away we go...replaced all seals and gaskets, cleaned carbs, cleaned tanks, ran new fuel and oil lines...we put about 50 miles on them and with my need for speed I wanted to see if they could keep my interest...at 60 mph they got severe belt slap in the tunnel...I adjusted the tracks and at 60 mph all was good...at second burst to 60 belt slap again, this time it did not stop...1 of the metal bars came loose on one side and with inspection one is missing...these bikes look like brand new and the engines run great but it seams if I can't replace the tracks I'm dead in the water.....HELP!!!! We are in Ohio, my name is Rodney 330-904-6704

Rodney19

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

Invader440

• Up Norte Dere in Fosston, Mn
    • Curt's Snowmobiling Page
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »

Lloyd

Not totally true.  Arctic cat tracks have a different rail spacing.  Been a while but IIRC, they have a smaller rail center to center.

DougKauer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
Madkawman, Those are two very excellent sleds.  They look to be mint and if so they are hard to find, especially with the covers.    8)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
Not sure if Pat K has anything left.  He moved on to a new hobby.  There are plenty of used tracks from Invaders around.  Just find a sled salvage yard ot Ebay.  A little patience and you will be up and running.

gixxer6

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
I have a couple real nice good used Invader tracks of you are in need.