Author Topic: Faded belly pan.  (Read 4004 times)

rminier

Faded belly pan.
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Working on the Snojet and Invader that I have owned forever. Real neophyte on web. Just found this site last fall, along with vintagevmax, dootalk, vintagesleds, etc. Amazed at how perfectly some restore their sleds.  Mine are near perfect mechanically, but a few cosmetic issues before I post any pics. Guess I'm gonna break down and buy an ebay seat cover for the 'vader finally. Belly pan is perfect, but really faded to a dull gray. Dang UV light. Always stored inside and covered. Nowadays I throw blankets over them to cover everything. I have tried several things on belly pan, including the stuff to restore car headlight lenses. Seems that fading is really deep. I have about resigned myself to accepting the only solution is a wet sanding and some good epoxy gloss black paint. Any other ideas?
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

gixxer6

Re: Faded belly pan.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Welcome to the site!   Wash the pan really good, lightly use a scotch brite pad, then spray it with Krylon Fusion satin black for plastic.  I have done pans, gas tanks, and dash panels this way with VERY good results.  The satin black makes it look like the original plastic, it's very hard to tell that it's been painted. 

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
Check with Image enterprise for a seat cover. I have used them for my seat cover in the past and was satisfied with the way it turned out.  Last seat cover I got was from a guy who sells on Ebay (Tzskins I believe)  and he used my seat off my 4/6 to make a pattern. The one pictured on Ebay is my seat. Been 3 years now and still looks great. My sleds sit outside under a canvas cover so that says a lot!!

Welcome to the club!

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
Like Tom says, the belly pans take paint remarkably well.  I imagine that grass, weeds, corn stalks and the occasional tree might eventually scuff the paint job, so it is always best to take the photos before riding.

As far as seat covers Jim made some good recommendations.  I can also recommend John's Upholstery.  He has recovered several of my seats - $125 which includes return shipping from MN to NY.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
So how do you like your 83' Vmax??  Just wondering.
Torys Vintage Sleds

rminier

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Gixxer, I will give the Krylon a try. Thanks everyone for replies on seat cover. Mswyka, I see johns upholstery ad on jdsleds. May give him a call. I miss the way seat was when new, soft, stretchy, kinda sticky. Wonder if a pro like John would be best bet to have seat "nearly new". Now it is brittle and cracked and a few strips of black duct tape on it. Once I paint belly pan, recover seat, and apply new tunnel decals I found on ebay, invader will look new...hood is still virtually perfect. Dang the old tunnel decals are a pain to remove.                                               Tory, I assume you are the same that just missed getting a vmax4 on "vintagesleds"? I love my 83 Vmax 540. 3 sleds really caught my attention when they came out..invaders, (gotta find an 81 someday), 81 srx..and more reliable 83 and newer vmaxes, and 97 doo Mxz's. Got vmax free in 1989..did a 'lil work for a guy and he told me motor was blown. I assumed a simple top end job, but NO...crank was destroyed too. Found a used 84 motor with good crank and cases and leaner oil pump. Didn't realize until getting on "vintagevmax" last fall that Yamaha also improved water pump seal for '84. Sent 1 cylinder to Bob at Image to get rechromed cuz I saw his ad in the back of 1 of the snowmobile mags...way back in 1990...small world. I cannot knock the yamaha quality, but they can be a PITA to work on. Everything held together by a million nuts and bolts. Took me awhile to figure out how to get carbs out somewhat easily with airbox taking up EVERY cubic inch of space under hood. Vmax has been great, but the '79 invader can give it all it wants on a smooth, twisty trail. With the kawi's low center of gravity it corners like a go cart. Vmax obviously rides better thru the bumps, but it is a newer generation. Hope you find a Vmax 4, they are great lookin sleds. Don't anybody tell "opsled" I think yamahas are a PITA to work on...oh well, he probably wouldn't be caught dead browsing a kawasaki site. ;) o

;)
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Yup, that was me on vintage with the Vmax4 post.  I didn't get the sled...  that's fine though - I've got plenty of projects!             Tory
Torys Vintage Sleds