Author Topic: Looking for Airbox 1978 Invader  (Read 2943 times)

MikeProcyshyn

Looking for Airbox 1978 Invader
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
Newbie to this forum... Am looing at picking up a 1978 Invader 440 to restore.  The ad says it's missing the fuel pump and airbox. I  see aftermarket fuel pumps are available on line but can't find an airbox.  They must be hard to come-by.  Before I make the Dude an offer I want to make sure I can get the parts needed. Anyone on this forum have an airbox for sale and what would you be asking for it?  Would need it shipped to Manitoba Canada and I would cover the shipping fee as well.  Thanks.

gixxer6

Re: Looking for Airbox 1978 Invader
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
I think there maybe a couple air boxes for sale on eBay right now.  They're out there, I wouldn't let it stop you from buying the sled. 

Careful with the fuel pump....the stock one was different.  These can be found easily too, and can buy rebuild kits that are fairly inexpensive. 

MikeProcyshyn

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
Thanks.  Regarding the fuel pump.  The sled doesn't come with one that I can rebuild.  The guy must have sold it.  Will the aftermarket pump, Mikuni DF52 Dual outlet not work as long as I install a fuel shut off valve?

Joel

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »
Yes that pump would work and installing a fuel shut off is always wise.
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

rminier

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »
 Yes, absolutely, a standard Mikuni dual outlet pump will work. I ran my Invader for a couple years with one I bought from DennisKirk, before I rebuilt my original pump. The Kawis had engines mounted so low in the chassis that they used a slightly oddball Mikuni pump that featured a clever anti-syphon device, which acted much like a manual fuel shut off.
 If the needle and seats in your carbs are in good shape and sealing, you will be fine. Incorporating a fuel shut off somewhere in the fuel line is a great idea to prevent fuel leaking by the needle and seat when you're trailering the sled, etc.
 I usually forget to turn them back on, until the sled starts and dies... :o ;)
 As gixxer6 mentioned, you should be able to find an airbox. Just be aware of a slight difference. The 440 Invader used 36 mm carbs versus the 32 mm carbs on the 340 Invader or the fan cooled Intruder. The rubber rings that fit in the airbox are slightly larger for the 440 Invader....the airbox plastic is the same, but you would have to find the correct rubber ring inserts if you buy an airbox that came from a 340 Invader or an Intruder.
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.