Author Topic: Not exactly a barn find  (Read 3141 times)

TecCrash

Not exactly a barn find
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
My father in law was looking for a 4 place trailer and finally found a good deal on one.  On it were 3 Intruders and a Invader, all from 78-79 and they gave them to him with the trailer.  None have been ridden since 1993, so we didn't think that they had much hope.  Over the holiday weekend we stepped out to look at them, and none were seized, seemed to have good compression and low miles (under 1,000), so we've decided to try and rescue them.  With snow in the air I don't have much time if we want to use them at all, so I have been scouring the site to see what I need to start with.  I thought I would ask for opinions as well.   I have some experience with sleds, but most of it is with newer machines.  Here is what I'm thinking of doing:

1 – Pour a little 2 stroke fuel into the cylinders so they have some lubricant on the walls.
2 – Get some gas in the carbs and see if they will fire at all.
3 – Determine which sled to start with.
4 – Check crank seals.
5 – Replace all hoses and clean tank.
6 – Clean Carbs.
7 – See if it will actually run.
8 – Evaluate from there

I doubt I will even get that far this weekend, but it's a start.  If you have any thoughts on other things I should do before I try and test fire these engines, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Joel

Re: Not exactly a barn find
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
Sound's like a good find. (esp. when looking for a trailer no less) I'd say they found you. Just be careful that's how the disease starts. The "Mad KAW" disease that is. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, but switch "check crank seals" to REPLACE crank seals. 

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »
Sounds like a great deal.  I'm with gix - don't even bother running any of the engines until you have changed the crank seals.  Pick one to start with - tear it apart, replace the seals and then go on to the next one.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

TecCrash

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
OK, I wish I would have checked the board as soon as I got home.  I got home tonight and started down the check list, got as far as checking to see if they would fire off.  They all did with the longest one taking 5 pulls, I didn't let any of them run for more than 5 secs, but they all will run.

Trucker just got my membership setup, so I need to get in there and build a parts list. Not sure yet what all I will need but, I know I need to get a clutch tool, and crank seals.  Let me do some research and I will let you know what I THINK I need   Thanks for all the help!

Chris

TecCrash

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »
OK so I finally found a clutch tool at PartsReloaded and I'm finding 3 different seals, a 30mm, 35mm (ribbed & non ribbed), and a 41mm.  I looked through the parts books in the member section and couldn't find sizes anywhere.  Any Suggestions?    I can call Dennis Kirks in the morning and order up enough to do all 4 sleds I suppose.  Any other major things I should look for on these sleds that would alter my decision on which to tear into first from a time spent basis?  I'm sure I'll run into lots of little details, but it's currently 14 degrees and snowing...  I can always run my Powder Special, but I would love to get one of these out on the trails as well.

Thanks Again!

Chris

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »
They require three seals.  I suggest buying a full gasket kit instead of the individual seals...

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
imo  pick out the best invader, order a full gasket set with seals,fuel line and filter and a tank pickup. replace crank seals, [no need to remove cyl heads, or cyls if you dont want to]clean carbs, clutch,fuel and oil lines.you'll have most of a gasket set left, but you will have all you need for the next one, get the rest as needed. don't get in to deep with 2 or 3 at once and get burned out...we want the mad kaw disease to spread...[6 running vaders here, ltd, 2 drifters, 550 no387....i got it bad....]