Author Topic: Cylinder Honing  (Read 10225 times)

tool13x

Cylinder Honing
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
I just wanted some feedback on cylinder honing. I have to replace the piston rings on my 1980 invader 440. The sled was showing low compression in the pto cylinder and the piston looks fine as well as the cylinder wall. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a coating on the cylinder walls before I hone them. I know most modern sleds have a nikasil coating so honing them would be a problem but I believe these old Kawis are good to go? Right?

Lloyd (ljm)

Re: Cylinder Honing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:49 AM »

Invader cylinders are either nicasil or chrome. NO heavy honing.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
Llyod is correct, Invader cylinders are chrome.  Unless they have been sleeved. 

I've had good luck with a very light honing of chrome cylinders. 

tool13x

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Whew, good thing I checked. Even a light honing on coated cylinder walls makes me a little nervous, should I even bother doing it at all?

rminier

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
 That depends...just my 2 cents. If the chrome bore looks virtually flawless, don't bother. You can use 1000 grit sandpaper, oil it up well with some 2 stroke (or plain ol' 30 weight) oil, and LIGHTLY touch up any small, scratched or scuffed up areas. Any imperfections that will catch a fingernail may require re-chroming of the cylinder.
  You don't want to try and "cross hatch" the cylinder, like you would with a traditional steel bore, but a little touch up of some less than perfect spots won't hurt.
 Probably the best thing is to use a flex-hone (with the little balls)  :-\  to run up and down a FEW times (well oiled) through the cylinder, but you have to have the correct size to fit the cylinder. They aren't terribly expensive...but kind of a luxury.
 Use your judgement...a little touch up with the fine sandpaper doesn't hurt...just remember your not trying to cross hatch or remove any of the chrome.
 Clean the cylinder spotlessly when you're done before you install new piston, and have at it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:04:02 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »
I have used a stone hone and have taken out light scoring.  I use lots of kerosene to lube and clean the stone. 

Should you hone your Cyliners?  It's like the old saying;  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:35:08 PM by gixxer6 »

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
There was a chemical that you could wipe on the cylinder to remove any buildup of shellack and leave the chrome as is.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
  My thoughts are that "generally" honing is used to help seat the rings (crosshatch).  I have also read that the cross hatch "pattern" effects ring set.

Torys Vintage Sleds

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »
Just curious how they seat the rings at the factory. I have nos cylinders that show no sign of honing.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
Maybe we should track down Yaki Makatuna and ask him.  LOL
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »
Muriatic Acid to remove aluminum deposit in cylinder bore(s). 
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
I always hone a used steel bore.  The only time I have honed a chrome cylinder was to smooth out some of the light scoring.  I always leave around a 60 degree cross hatch.  If the cylinder looks good, I don't hone it.  The one Invader I built had a good used un-honed cylinder, and a good used cylinder that I honed.  I have since put over 900 miles on that engine with zero problems.  Both cylinders have 140psi of compression. 

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
Agree.
Torys Vintage Sleds

tool13x

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
  My thoughts are that "generally" honing is used to help seat the rings (crosshatch).  I have also read that the cross hatch "pattern" effects ring set.

I agree, its always been my understanding that crosshatching is not only for helping oil retention on the cylinder walls but also helps wear the rings down and seats them to the cylinders. Which is why early break-in procedures are critical to a new/newly rebuilt engine.
That being said, after a few Google searches it seems that the general consensus is not to hone chromed/nikasil cylinder walls. It also appears that a regular stone will not hone nikasil anyways because it is to hard, you most likely need a professional diamond tool to do it.

The great majority have spoken, no honing shall be done. It looks like a light hone might be done as a last resort if there are minor imperfections as has been suggested in the above posts.  But I suspect the proper procedure is to have them bored and recoated for any major scarring. A friend of mine just had this done on a modern sled, around $250 for nikasil coating on just one jug. Ouch!

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
Do some shopping...  I think i paid about $200 ea for Nicasil through Millenium.
Torys Vintage Sleds