Author Topic: Need help, Invader runs but wont build high RPM like it should  (Read 12019 times)

gixxer6

Re: Need help, Invader runs but wont build high RPM like it should
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
Checkmarks,

I recall a similar discussion on the old forum...  Based on that discussion I was under the impression that the CDI, coils, stator, and flywheel all needed to be swapped.  Am I remembering wrong?  Have you (or anyone) installed an LTD CDI on an Invader?  If so, is the improvement noticeable? 

Also, you mentioned that the finish at the same place, however in graph in the other thread, they are about 2 degrees apart at 8,000 RPM.  Maybe 2 degrees isn't enough to make a difference??? 

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »

I haven't done it. Yet but will this weekend if there is snow left.

What I've been told by someone I trust and I know hw knows what he is talking about.

Just plug the CDI in and go.

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

gixxer6

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
I am planning to try it this weekend too.  I have been looking for a way to get more low end power from my 81' 440 Invader.  I shaved the heads in attempt to get more torque.  This helped, but not as much as I'd hoped. 

Checkmarks

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Just Mark, Gix

Same discussion; yes.  You must be remembering my work putting in a Polaris Cdi that came from a Fuji 400 LC motor.  A Polaris Cdi, stator, and the flywheel made it easier to install the Polaris system.  This system worked to get the advancing retard timing system also and Cdi's for Polaris float around everywhere.

For the Kawasaki I suspect you could just bolt on the Cdi and then fashion a couple of coils together.  Suspect.  You could do everybody a favor and look up the part numbers on the primary coil and the pulser and see if they are the same, one.  Two it would be better to disassemble and count the # of winds on the coil and pulsor.  This counting method would resolve if the part numbers (if different) are not just re-badged so somebody could make more money.   When I did my work (fairly certain) the motor was open so all the Ltd gear went in.  Swapping system is the fastest choice with guaranteed resulting ignition system..

In the graph the numbers are what was recorded in real life and two different motors.  It could have been the stators were not aligned perfect or advanced, in the end just error that I did not bother investigating.  Last reading the timing light holding the throttle at 8k there is some interpreting.

Bottom line:  the swapped cdi did improve the launch hands down.  IF I were after making my 440 make more power because we all want more power a turbo charger is the direction to take.  After you ride a sled with a 550, 600, 700 and 800 motor a person will realize how silly it is chasing more horsepower out of a 440 any other way beside adding CC's.  Full circle; there is no substitution for cubic inch.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

You are right Mark. Can't make a 440 have 700 power.

But we might as well use all the power we have.
  It seems like the very early 80's there were advances in the CDI technology.
  The ignition on the 4/6 was probably a test for things to come.
   The mono block engines would be the next advance in Kawasaki motors.

A 440 will never have the power of the 550 But we can change the power band to increase our fun factor.

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

gixxer6

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Mark,

Yes, I recall your work with the polaris setup.  I would opt for that route, but I already have the LTD components. 

I compared the 81-82' LTD coil part numbers to that of an 80' Invader and they are different.  I don't think I'm up for counting the windings. 

I'm not really after more power, if I want more power I just hop on my 130HP MXZ670.  However, I do enjoy riding my Invader.  Giving it more low end and mid range power will make it more fun on the trails. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:14:38 PM by gixxer6 »

Checkmarks

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »
I hear you Lloyd and Gix,

The, lets call it extra, power is between the idle to 6k rpm range.  I knew the part numbers on the Cdi were different my question were that of the primary coil and pulsor the ones on the 'stator' plate.

The Invaders are still the coolest sleds on the planet, next the Interceptor.  Almost turbocharged but my oval race rules outlawed forced induction.   

gixxer6

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
Idle to 6k, that's right where I'd like more umph... 

"I compared the 81-82' LTD coil part numbers to that of an 80' Invader and they are different.  "  That is, the exciter and pulser coils that I was referring to. 

The Great Jashu

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »
This CDI conversation has me intrigued. If this does have a lot to do with where the power applies. Then that makes sense and could be my problem. The CDI that is on this sled we were originally talking about (LOL) is an aftermarket CDI. Its black and flat, unlike the OEM part. This could be a "universal fit" CDI that isnt treating the Invader correctly. Whoever installed this had to do some wire clipping and splicing. That doesnt help me much with plugging in the right CDI.

Trucker

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
This CDI conversation has me intrigued. If this does have a lot to do with where the power applies. Then that makes sense and could be my problem. The CDI that is on this sled we were originally talking about (LOL) is an aftermarket CDI. Its black and flat, unlike the OEM part. This could be a "universal fit" CDI that isnt treating the Invader correctly. Whoever installed this had to do some wire clipping and splicing. That doesnt help me much with plugging in the right CDI.
sounds like you have a kimpex cdi i had one sled with one like you described and it never ran right with that cdi

The Great Jashu

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
Trucker-
Did you switch to an OEM CDI and the problem was fixed?

Trucker

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »
Yes i did change to a oem cdi but there was a few other issues as well so i cant blame it all on that cdi but that  was a big one.

The Great Jashu

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
It seems our friend Checkmarks was right on the money with the problem here. New belt and its awesome! I should have known when I took the old belt off with minimal effort.

gixxer6

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »

I haven't done it. Yet but will this weekend if there is snow left.

What I've been told by someone I trust and I know hw knows what he is talking about.

Just plug the CDI in and go.

Lloyd

Did you try this???  I was going to, but I've been to focusing all of my extra time on getting #553 ready to ride to a local show this weekend. 

gixxer6

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
It seems our friend Checkmarks was right on the money with the problem here. New belt and its awesome! I should have known when I took the old belt off with minimal effort.

Glad you got it going!!!