Author Topic: Info on Jet Ski Pistons for LTD and 550  (Read 12146 times)

ChaChi

Info on Jet Ski Pistons for LTD and 550
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Hey guys

I am wondering if someone could take the time to bring over the posts about this subject...

I am very interested in this, as parts for our old machines become more scarce, I am trying to stock up on parts I will need in the future, but I refuse to pay the price for these rare pistons...

Any information pertaining to this subject is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

JosephNiemi

Re: Info on Jet Ski Pistons for LTD and 550
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
I just got the engine out of the 2nd interceptor i got from this guy,  the one he said had jet-ski pistons in it.  He told me he enlarged the wrist pin holes to make them work.   I pulled the head off and it looks like it has iron cylinders in it too.
Interceptor #453
Interceptor #575
'78 Invader 440 #679

ChaChi

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
Iron bores with chrome rings is a good setup, skidoo has been doing it for years...

Sure would love to have a way to enlarge my own piston holes... hmmmmm... I need a mill! lol

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
I have been collecting pistons and tools for this project for a couple years as I was a set for my self.  I also have a machine shop and now all the things needed for the project including a source for cast iron rings.  The rings still need to be modified to fit the jet ski pistons but when done the piston and ring set should be a drop in set.  I'm currently swamped with stuff that needs doing so it will not be until 2013 that I get a chance to try it in my soon to be 550 LTD.  Talk is cheep so wish me luck!!

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
From the old forum, I recall someone (MIDMICHIGAN550???) installing a 1mm bushing into the rod to shim the 18mm hole to fit the 16mm Jetski wristpin bearing...  I had thoughts of installing the Jetski rods onto an Interceptor crank (I don't know if they'd fit).  If used with sleeved cylinders, the jetski pistons and rings would be a drop in replacement, no modification required. 

There was also info on the old forum about Flannery installing 583 Ski-Doo pistons in a 550.  It'd be nice to have that info copied over too.   :)

ChaChi

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
Was that bushing a total fix? or did he end up boring the piston wrist pin hole because of the bushing failing?

I am really interested in this... I like the fact I can order jet ski pistons out of a catalog for CHEAP! I have a buddy that can over bore cylinders for some beers and I can source chrome rings for the jet ski pistons easily!!! I wonder what kind of material he used for the bushing?

I appreciate the replies guys!

Cheers! 8)

That Girl Racing

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
550 pistons are available from a couple of sources. I am sure Image still has the Wiseco's and J.C Automotive in Rochester has repops by Venolia. We should support people that have repops done. They are not getting rich off it.

ChaChi

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »
Please put up a website,email, phone number...

Do they have 440 ltd repops?

gixxer6

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
550 pistons are available from a couple of sources. I am sure Image still has the Wiseco's and J.C Automotive in Rochester has repops by Venolia. We should support people that have repops done. They are not getting rich off it.

Image has been out of the Wiseco's for a few years now, and the last time I talked to Bob he didn't have plans to have more made.  They were also all out of NOS rings...

I agree, we should support the guys that invested the resources into having them made.  However, from what I understand, all reproduced pistons so far have been designed to use NOS rings, which are just as hard to come by as the pistons. 

That Girl Racing

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Wiseco has reduced there mininum custom order to 10 from 25 and guarantees very quick turnaround time. It would be very easy to have a run made. Wiseco never used OEM rings on the 550 pistons. Why would they? Last I talked to Bruce he had OEM rings and was getting some made. There always seems to be a sentiment on this site against both Image and Bruce at JC that they were ripping people off with the prices of their custom pieces. I have never quite understood it.

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »
The set of Image (Wiseco) pistons that I have use OEM rings.  Why?  If I remember correctly, it's because Wiseco doesn't make a 75mm ring that is compatible with chrome. 

Finding a way to use Jetski pistons could be much more economical then custom pistons.  Not to mention they are readily available. 

80 Kawi

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
I think Peter is correct. On top of that it will cost alot more to have the work done to a jetski piston then it would to simply source repops...check it out..

80 Kawi

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
sorry I'm not great at scanning and uploads  :-[.... you'll have to download and rotate it clockwise..but call Bruce at J.C. and get yourself some pistons...why bother messing around.
   He is a fine fellow to deal with, I know.  Paul
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:53:02 AM by 80 Kawi »

ChaChi

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
I have always been more then happy with image and their prices and products...

I plan on doing a couple more orders this year just to get the sleds really nice...

What this other place JC?

That Girl Racing

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
Does anyone have a loose 550 connecting rod they can measure up?