Author Topic: 4/6 EGT temps?  (Read 19443 times)

kawhead

Re: 4/6 EGT temps?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »
now that its dialed in i'd try a new set of plugs.....it helps if you  get a little time on the motor.

Checkmarks

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
Tom,

Sounds like you have reins managing A/F.  The two plug colors can come from combinations of things.  Since you have two potentially different pistons that may affect the actual compression ratio opposed to matched pistons this is one of the mentioned combination.  No air box has an affect from where each carburetor draws in its air, one air source can be cooler than the other.  Imagine air pulled closer from the exhaust pipe is hotter, hotter=less dense and therefore your jetting is rich for that carburetor.  Oh the list goes on but you can chase that demon.

Jet your carburetors correctly in accord to this choice, one piston wash, two plug color and three plug burn.  When you have no idea where to start with jetting adjustment, then you get to reverse the order just given.

While dial a jet is a fairly good solution, it is another wrench in the dyer.  Another system to keep track of is the cause of the problem.  An example is maintaining five sleds, where one has Holtzman tempa flow, then an ataac another dial-a-jet.  Race day sleds are treated different, in each of my sleds I have a lexan card with the spread of jetting needed for that sled.  Using mikuni templated charting I just put in the correct jetting.  ONCE you get the correct A/F ratio and you write down the temperature and the altitude you are at then all the other situations are known.  Eazy Peazy.  No more power to generate with the correct A/F ratio, no pistons to burn down or rings to seize.  Gas and go wear out some parts.

gixxer6

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Both pistons are .040 over Wiseco's, one is just a touch newer than the other... 

I've got it jetted so it'll run a solid 1200 on both cylinders.  I plan to run it until I can check the piston wash, then adjust if necessary. 

When I was referring to different plug coloring, I meant the same plug.  Normally when I check plug color, the entire insulating portion is the same color, ideally a dark tan color.  On this sled, its not.  One side of the insulator is a real light tan, the other is a dark brown.  And there is a color gradient between.  All four plugs look the same. 

Checkmarks

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:12 AM »
Last share,

Check your half throttle with a plug burn and you can put A/F to bed.  C-clip guess is not a good solution and is equally important as WOT.  Well not quite equally important considering you can cool the piston with a WOT burst before aluminum flows out the pipe.

Piston wash from that end point.

Sounds like your plugs are finishing up coloring.

sprocket

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
How many turns do you have your air screw out ? If it's more than 1 turn out you need to jet up or drop your pin if your clip is on the top setting you Definitely need a bigger jet. Now on one side running hotter than the other is not really common in the Kawasaki now if you ran a rotax then it is common to have different jetting sizes from side to side.