Author Topic: Easy Fix....... Duh!  (Read 3268 times)

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
Easy Fix....... Duh!
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
A few years back, I restored/resurrected a 1979 440 Drifter with my son. We were finished with it when the last piece, an airbox was located on this site and installed. It ran fine, but every now and then it would just shut down. Bog, wheez, run again and then just shut down. We checked everything, ignition switch, kill switch, circuit board, ground wires, coil, cdi, stator, plugs, plug wires, carburetor, airbox, fuel pump, filter, pick-up screen, fuel lines, (yes, we did the oil seals upon restoration.) The dang thing would run like a top, and then......pfffttttt. Nothin'!

Well today i finally figured out what the problem WAS. When we got the airbox, I cleaned it out, reassembled it and installed it on the machine. I (unknowingly) attached one the two airbox retainer spings OVER TOP OF the impulse line, pinching it and thus rendering the fuel pump nearly useless. When the engine and impulse line was cool, it was rigid enough to allow the fuel pump to work. When the engine and impulse line warmed up and softened slightly, no more fuel was delivered. Dang, that simple error was driving me frigin' nuts, and I did it to myself! I wish all of my problems were such an easy fix!

ChaChi

Re: Easy Fix....... Duh!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
I have had a similar issue on my drifter...

I am going to use that poly urathane line this year and some fuel line clips cause I think I am having the exact same issue... It's really not good for a premix sled to run low on fuel all the time either!

Thanks for the post!