Author Topic: Photos of suspension lift and gas tank fix.  (Read 6473 times)

The Great Jashu

Photos of suspension lift and gas tank fix.
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
My 80 Invader has a unique fix to the gas tank that was on it when I bought it. Works very well and may be an idea for anyone else looking for a fix.

Also this same machine has what I believe to be the suspension lift option. The suspension bolts in below the tunnel.

Does anyone know if this is the suspension lift option? Or, was this someone elses fix?

mswyka

Re: Photos of suspension lift and gas tank fix.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
Jashu, I can't tell from the outside of the lift.  Can you get a photo of the lift from the inside of the tunnel?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
That does look like the lift bracket.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:54:33 AM by Interceptor398 »

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
Looks like the factory one. Most of the home made ones were bolted onto the bottom of the running boards. Factory ones went up the side of the tunnel

sljsmc

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
I picked up a 1980 invader this past fall and it has been raised.(or lowered depending on how you look at it) It is just a plate that is bolted on with 3 bolts and only goes up barely above the original mount hole. I am thinking that it isn't big enough and should go up higher.  This looks like something the PO put on it. What are your thoughts how high should this go? The kit that was made was big enough that it was riveted on wasn't it?

Thanks Steven

alexmoebis

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »
Steven, I played with this too. I got a local welding shop to cut a piece of aluminium and put a bend in it so it goes up on the inside of the tunnel, the back out flush with the tunnel (that makes sense right?). Any way, I started with the suspension bolted like 3 inches down from the tunnel. Dont do that... It lifts the front end of the track off the ground and you loose all traction. Maybe there is a way to remedy that im not sure. Anyway, I ended up putting it so the top of the track at the rear idler is flush with the bottom of the tunnel. Bolted about an inch below the tunnel. Works great for me. I'll try to get some pics on someday.

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
Yeah. you don't want to go much more than an inch or 1 1/2 inches below the edge of the tunnel or it puts too much weight on the front and the skis dig in .

sljsmc

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
Here's a few pictures of the mods on the invader I picked up last fall. It is a working project. My daughter wanted it yellow and black so that is what she is getting. It runs good and strong. I have to get the new crank seals in and the seat recovered and should be all set.

Steven

sljsmc

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
Jim you said to only go about an inch or inch and a half below the tunnel.  If you look at pictures 2 and 3 of the previous post the PO had dropped the mount 3 1/4 inches in back but they also dropped the front mount by 2 3/8 inch. Did the factory made kit change the front mount also? Wouldn't this help the weight distribution? This machine seems to get good traction and it seems to ride fairly stable. I have another invader I want to modify but I want to do it right, so just looking at options.

Steven

mswyka

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
Factory kit is just about 1 1/4 inch of drop.  It did not include a drop in the front.  I have the brochure on my other computer and can post it tomorrow.

mswyka

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »
Here is the brochure with the parts and instructions.

sljsmc

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
I am not sure of things in the brochure. If I am dropping the whole assembly down what is the purpose of the  wear strips on the tunnel for? If the track is going to hit the tunnel it surely would BEFORE the modification wouldn't it? I will have to look at the invader I picked up last fall and see where the original mounting holes line to in relation to the drive shaft, then see if the new mounting holes line up the same? The back hole is dropped 3 1/4" and the front hole is 2 3/8"(i think) so they may still line up with the original point on the drive shaft. Thanks for the info.

Steven

mswyka

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
The purpose of the kit was to accommodate studs.  With out the tunnel protectors just about any length stud would rip open the underside of the tunnel.  The drop in the back of the suspension was to make room for the tunnel protectors. 

A drop in the front would also need to be accompanied by an adjustment in the suspension spring clip.

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »

Just a thought

If both the rear and the front of the suspension is dropped, Would spacer blocks in the front springs be a help?

Raising the rear end up that much might make the front end awful light on the ski's

How does it steer?

Lloyd
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

sljsmc

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »
I looked last night and the original mount holes lined up with the drive shaft. The new mount holes were pretty close to lining up also. I haven't ridden it that much just around the pasture and such but it seems to ride good and steer good. Maybe I will have to take it somewhere with more snow as our snow is just about gone and check it further.

Steven