Author Topic: intruder hood, invader hood ???  (Read 2695 times)

badcats

intruder hood, invader hood ???
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
can the head light pod that is glued on be removed, i found a nos intruder hood i would like to use, on a project potherwise the hood looks the same, thanks Jon

jimvw57

Re: intruder hood, invader hood ???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »
I have a hood that I was given that is in fact an Invader hood with a fixed headlight glued in place. There is some duct work on the right side to direct airflow to the radiator which could be in the way on an Intruder motor, but a nice sharp saw could do the trick I guess.

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
 I'm assuming that you have an Intruder hood that you want to modify for your Invader. It is possible, but make sure that you transfer your Invader under hood duct work too. The Intruder uses a different baffle because of the fan cooling vs. the radiator. Remove the under hood, fan air, exit baffle from your Intruder hood too. (You won't need it for the Invader.) You will have to cut out the hole for the radiator exhaust air. (the outline is already on the underside of the Intruder hood, but not cut out.) You will also have two "undesired" holes in your project (see pic 4). The first is not really a problem. The Intruder has a grilled opening between the windscreen and the gauge blister. You can fiberglass it over or leave the grille. The second hole is the gap that will be behind the pop up headlight. This gap is where the fan air was exhausted through the Intruder headlight blister. You will be busy here because not only will you want to close up the gap, but you will need to build "ears" (see pic 5) for your Invader headlight to attach to. (The Intruder "ears" were removed at the factory because they were not needed because of the glued on headlight.)

I did this project a few years ago and posted it on the OLD forums. I converted an Intruder hood to look like and Invader, but it is still an Intruder or "Invadair" if you will. Here are some of the pics from the project. The glue is damn near impossible to remove. I cut off the headlight "blister" (pic 2) and then proceeded to remove the glued area (pic 3) with a sharp chisel. It gave me a hard time but was well worth the effort.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:40:44 PM by MaxThrottle »

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
More pics.

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
More pics. Don't worry, I still have the original hood for the Intruder in mint condition. I used a damaged hood as a donor for my project.

badcats

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »
actually it's for a interceptor project, i found a nos intruder hood, but my interceptor hood would be easier to fix, thanks.