Author Topic: Advantages and disadvantages of lower gears.  (Read 2569 times)

The Great Jashu

Advantages and disadvantages of lower gears.
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
Now that I have accomplished the experiment of gearing down an Invader. A couple of notes as to whether it is worth it.
It will spin that track real fast and right now! To the point of minimal traction. Even with studs I cant make it hook well.

RPM's are up all the time when driving. Even at slow speeds its turning 5,000. With this comes the problem of keeping the motor cool. Low speeds equal minimal snow cast on the cooler and higher rpm makes heat quicker. Its good for a half hour cruising around, after that the temp starts to get over 200.

So, my conclusion- If you want a drag racer, its a good fun plan. But it loses drivability around the farm. No need to try and outthink the Kawi engineers.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Advantages and disadvantages of lower gears.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
Great post...  You always want to gear as tall as possible without loosing acceleration - even in a drag sled!  Successful 440 class drag sleds have run 1.86 ratios similar to that of the Invader 440 (non-LTD's).  Drag racers are always trying to "lighten the load" and with tall gearing these sleds spend more time moving forward and less time spinning!
Torys Vintage Sleds