Tech Information > Tips and Tricks

`82 Intruder / Initial Timing

(1/2) > >>

rjohnston84:
Hello all from Upstate NY. I have a `82 Intruder 440/FC and was wondering where initial ignition timing should be at idle. I have learned that timing on these machines will retard at higher rpm`s. It`s very sluggish at low end. Carb`s are in sync and as far as setting `total timing` to (17-18deg.) at 6500 rpm`s, that seems to be impossible to achieve. Any tip`s would be awesome!
Thanks..

mswyka:
Good afternoon.  What do you call Upstate?  I am in Orange County.

Do you have a Shop Manual?

rjohnston84:
I am due East of Northern Lake Erie. and yes, I do have a shop manual, but I am looking for `initial timing.` which is at idle. Shop manual specifies timing as I posted originally.

gixxer6:
If you are having trouble setting your timing to 18 deg at 6500 then you may have an issue with your cdi/coil.  When did the issue start?

rjohnston84:
Original cdi/coil unit has been replaced with separate coil/cdi units from pre 1982 models. Performance issues originated prior to ignition modification. My understanding the `performance bog` has always been there on these machines right out of the crate and many have upgraded with late model polaris cdi/coil units which tremendously improve timing curve. again, i`m after `initial timing` specs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version