Author Topic: 78 Invader mouse nest in air box??  (Read 4796 times)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
78 Invader mouse nest in air box??
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Had a new thing happen last night.  My neighbor has me fire their outdoor boiler when they are gone so I fired up the 78 Invader to go over and fill the boiler.  The Invader fired up fine but on the way back it started to struggle, then a kind of whistle and it dies right where I left from and would not restart.  Today I tried it just to see if it would start and it did but would barely run and was making a really strange noise so I started pushing on things to see if the noise would change to narrow down the problem. The noise was coming from the air box and for the first time ever I saw an air box shrink when I would open the gas and go back to normal when off the gas. There was a real nice mouse nest in the tool bax so I am guessing there is also one in the air box.  I have not looked yet and may not for a few days.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 78 Invader mouse nest in air box??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
 >:(I finally broke down and got myself a bore scope and took a look in the air box.  Yup, it's got a pile of stuff that should not be in there. Now to pull it apart and clean it.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
well today was a nice sunny day so I took the air box apart.  I was 2/3 full of mouse nest!  Got it all cleaned up and put back together.  Seems there was a little water in the fuel line but after putting gas down the spark plug hole a few times and putting on new choke cables (flipper broke and cables were cracked) I finally got her to go. Just in time to park it for the summer!! LOL

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
  I started plugging all my exhaust outlets with PVC caps for the same reason.  Damn critters. 
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
i've had the airbox deal also....little @#$%^'s....picked up a 73 caddy eldo ragtop last year that was in a shed for 19 years....mouse heaven inside.... >:(

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
...  Nice!  Must have had the 500 ci?  When I was in the service, I bought a 65' Coupe Deville Convertible with the 429CI.  Fun car.  That thing could boil the rear tire off from here to the next gas station (as you watched the gauge drop).  Those were the days-no mice living in that one.  Now I get to drive my wifes Toyota Matrix...  Urghhhh.
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
500 cu in but front wheel drive...new interior ,tires, shocks,brakes,tune up....and a gas tank so full of rust that i cant drive it.anybody got an ideas on a new tank?

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
  Have you ever used a product called POR 15?  I know it is a great product and I believe they sell a product for gas tanks.  If you google POR 15 the site should give you some options/suggestions.  Hope this helps.
Torys Vintage Sleds

jimvw57

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:40:50 AM »
Hard part is cleaning out the tank so you can use the sealer. I used a product called Kreeme on a mini bike gas tank. it worked great! Not sure if it works on mouse nests in an airbox though.....

gixxer6

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »
Evaporust will work for removing the rust, but I'm not sure it'll be cost effective. 

kawhead

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
thanks for all the ideas............its  pretty crusty

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
Evapo rust is pretty good stuff.  I have a large roaster that I put a couple gallons in and set the heat to about 160 degrees to clean rusty parts.  Works well on the stuff that fits.  It might cost you $60.00 bucks to clean the tank??

gixxer6

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:49 AM »
Does heating it speed up the process?  I just bought my first gallon a couple weeks ago.  It worked good, but it took about two and a half days to get all the rust off.