Author Topic: Darn Sled!!!  (Read 2645 times)

jimvw57

Darn Sled!!!
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
OK so yesterday I put gas in the 4/6 to adjust the carbs and stuff after tearing the carbs and fuel pump down for rebuilding. They were leaking gas last year at the end of the season. I added a few gallons of gas, and after a bit, (normal when the primer is not working) sled started and I adjusted everything so it will run good. 

I then turned to the non-working primer pump. After replacing the pump, I tried to restart the sled. .. wouldn't start.... This is not normal for this sled as it always starts by at most 3rd pull. I hung it up as it was getting dark out.
Today I pulled the plugs and they were wet. I pulled it over with plugs removed and did not get excessive fuel out the holes like when it is flooded. I then put a new plug in the plug boot and... No Spark. Checked switch, kill switch, handlebar switch, No change. I then went for the old standby of unplugging the connector on the motor, still no spark.  I checked all 4 plug wires and no spark.

Last year I put on 2 new coils, 4 new boots and ends, and towards the end of the season, I had trouble with starting. I alsco noticed gas leaking a bit after I shut it off so assumed it was carbs, pump, or lines, which I replaced this year.  Now I get to go through the electrical and see what happened.

Enough to piss a guy off....     Good thing my Intruder started right up!!

Lloyd (ljm)

Re: Darn Sled!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »

Intruder's are fun but the fun factor on the 4/6's makes up for all the frustrations :)
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

kawhead

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
simple to try a cd box if you have one but i bet pulsar/exciter coils....

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
don't recall if I still have a spare cdi, I know I have a set of pulser\igniter coils

Winter Thunder

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
The sled salvage yard over here by me might have a cdi Jim.  I plan on going to the Osceola show and swap for a bit this Saturday so if you want one I can stop and get it and bring it with on Saturday.

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
Found one in the box-o-parts that I had in the shed. it is raining outside right now so it may have to wait to try it out.

No garage party this year?? I heard about a show in Zumbro Falls next weekend (14th)