Author Topic: Is a 440 invader a good sled for me?  (Read 2903 times)

_SledNeck_

Is a 440 invader a good sled for me?
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
Hi im austin and im new to this site. Im 16 and looking for MY first sled(thats i bought). I dont have a lot of cash and ive always loved the look and sound of the old kawis. Would this be a good reliable sled for me? I understand that there are problems with the crank seals and i would like to also know more as to why.  i used to ride a 02 viper 700 when i first stared riding(i know the sled was apparently too fast thats what everyone told me) but circumstances with family issues makes it so i no longer have it. So if possible i would also be interested in information on being able to increase speed Any information will be greatly appreciated thank you! 8)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:45:50 PM by _SledNeck_ »
Id Braaaaap That

gixxer6

Re: Is a 440 invader a good sled for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
The crank seal problem isn't specific to Invaders or Kawasaki's, any 30 year old sled will need the crank seals replaced.  The seals are rubber and fail with age, when they fail, it can cause major engine damage.  Invaders are fast for an old 440, but the 700 you were riding is faster.  Invaders can be nice reliable sleds, but most I see need ALOT of maintenance work before they are reliable.  New fuel lines, pull cord rope/rebuild, carb cleaning, crank seals etc etc etc.  But they are a great sled!  Good luck! 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »
Welcome to the site!!  Gixxer6 is correct, to be reliable everthing will need the TLC it likely did not get for 30 years but it think they are worth the effort.

_SledNeck_

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
what would you guys recommend i do to it if i got one in fair condition? I without question would go over the fuel lines and make sure the pull cord is very strong or replaced. And I would change the crank seals with the help of my buddy roger
Id Braaaaap That