Author Topic: To buy or not to buy... that is the question (Interceptor)  (Read 3851 times)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
To buy or not to buy... that is the question (Interceptor)
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
  So, an Interceptor is up for sale close to my house...  do I need another one?  Probably not, but the advertised price seems reasonable.  There is only one picture, so I won't know all the details until I go look at it.  It "looks" o.k...   The ad says "Kawasaki Interceptor for sale with an LTD parts sled"  Interceptor needs a bellypan and top end motor work...  $1200.  So, how many of you Ceptor guys would consider this deal?  I am going to look at it in an a couple hours.  I guess I am hoping the LTD has some decent stuff left on it to offset the price.  From the single picture, the Interceptor chassis looks like an 8 out of 10 IMO.  Input??
Torys Vintage Sleds

rminier

Re: To buy or not to buy... that is the question (Interceptor)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
Well, heck yeah! One can't have too many 'Ceptors can they? You still gotta finish the 81 SRX but then you can tackle another Kawi. Would love to have an Interceptor someday.  ;D
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
Thank god someone else feels as though you can never have enough Interceptors!  I am just trying to justify my actions on this one.  Gotta make sure I am not the only one that feels like $1200 is reasonable with the work that it needs.  Thanks for the positive response.  Anyone else?
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
.....   Alright Gixxer....   what do ya think?
Torys Vintage Sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Think of it as a parts sled with hope.  If the condition of the stuff that is still is close to the cost of the sled I would go for it but top ends can be a little spendy.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
Ya, I agree.  One good point is that I had "a whole bunch" of Interceptor pistons made, so I already have those.  I haven't seen any Interceptors sell in awhile, so I am "fishing" for some numbers.  I've seen a few "for sale" but don't know whether they ended up at a new home.
Torys Vintage Sleds

rminier

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
Not sure I could justify the cost of a decent Interceptor. I have 3 sons and 3 daughters...3 outta college, 2 in college, and a daughter..Jr. in hi school. Plus, no more room. 4 sleds, 3 jet skis, a 19' bowrider sterndrive, etc. BUT I NEVER see Interceptors on craigslist around here..(Indiana, southern Michigan, Chicago, etc.) Can't be too many of them left. Better go for it!
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

gixxer6

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »
The condition has a huge effect on the value.  I bought one awhile back, it was beat. The worst condition Interceptor I have ever seen.  I paid $750 for it and a 340 Invader parts sled.  I was going to use it for parts, but decided to do a "cheap" restore.  I think I might have broke even in the end.  What are you going to do with it?  If it's a parts sled look at what is good on it and add up the value.  If you're going to restore it, remember that buying parts always costs three times what you think they will IF you can find them. 

There's only 600 of em out there.   I can't see the value of them decreasing. 

Hope this helps!