Author Topic: New speedometer ? O miles ?  (Read 2775 times)

BornagianKawi

New speedometer ? O miles ?
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
When can one use them? When you do a complete snow up restore? When you get a sled that does not have one ? The sled you have has a broken one, or you don"t know the real miles on sled ?

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: New speedometer ? O miles ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »
On a full resto or if it did not have one, sure.  As long as the next owner knows the story it's all fine.  A few years back at Braapfest a well known sled collector had a prototype sled that had the same number of miles on it after the trail ride that day.  I think of that as cheating.

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
If you don't ride them, they might as well be a picture!  I don't worry too much about miles.  The low mile sleds can be more work than the ones that have miles on them.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »
I have NOS speedos that I install after doing a restore.  If one of my riders needs a new speedo, I put in a good used one.  I always let the next owner know that it's been swapped when selling a sled. 

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »
I always laugh when someone asks...  "so how many miles on the sled???"  Really??  How many odometers have actually worked the ENTIRE 30+ years of the vintage sled's life AND plenty of bogus swaps.  I had a guy inquire about an 82' LTD I was selling and the FIRST thing he asked was "mileage".  Didn't care about seat condition or anything else...  I believe he actually passed on the sled because it had 2600 miles.  You've got to be kidding.  I have a box full of speedometers that show anywhere between 100 and 8,000 miles and wouldn't hesitate to use one of these in any of my sleds (if the original wasn't working).  In most cases we are talking about Invaders, Drifters and Intruders that are not RARE sleds.  IMO be more concerned with what's important like...   how are the hood decals??   original seat cover???  crank seals been replaced???  Purchased a few Kawis from the warehouse in CA with "Original LOW MILES" BUT they sat in the shop for so long the seat cover was dried up and cracked and crank seals??  What do you think?   Makes me shake my head. 
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
i agree, condition/maintenance more important....but a higher miler gets sloppy spindals and bushings tie rods etc....

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
If the sleds were in California, how much could they be used?? not much snow out there unless you  get into the higher elevations... Kind of like owning a sled in Arizona !

If it is a full restoration , with all new bushings, bearings, etc. then it is basically a new sled.  set it at 0