Author Topic: invader wont stay running  (Read 5279 times)

menger69

invader wont stay running
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
   just bought a 80 invader with a 440. ran perfect for about the first hour.then out of the blue started to bogg down then died. pulled the recoil about 20 times started ran perfect about 10 min. same thing over and over. let it set over night ran good for about 30 min same thing again aney body have a idea thanks

The Great Jashu

Re: invader wont stay running
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
Whats the temperature guage say?

menger69

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
  temp gauge dont work. But it was 0 outside yesterday. it dident feel warm to the touch

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Check for: 

Plugged fuel filter
Plugged exhaust pipe
Plugged airbox
Bad Crank Seals

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
The two thoughts that come first to mind for me are tank vent and electrics.  Make sure the tank vent is open to the atmosphere.  Also, sometimes those old coils act funny providing spark when cold and breaking down when they warm up.

But if this sled is new to you it might make sense to go through everything at least once.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »
Crank seals will act up when they are cold, and sometimes when they warm up.  sounds more like a tank vent or electronics..

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:20 AM »
 When it quits. Check for spark.

My Drifter did the exact same thing and it was a bad pulser coil.

How old are the plugs?

I have seen plugs that fired cold but not fire when they were hot.

Lloyd

77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

gixxer6

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »
  bad crank seals will make it bogg down and kill ?

Bad crank seals affect the crankcase pressure/pulse that drives the fuel pump.  When my Invaders crank seals went bad, it acted just like you described.  Sometimes the fuel pump would work, sometimes it would not. 

The Great Jashu

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
The reason I asked about the temp guage is that is how I got my 80 Invader. A guy had those some problems, run good for a while, then die. Wait a bit and it would run great till it got hot. He didnt have a temp guage either. He found out the water pump wasnt working when it melted the pistons. I bought the sled and rebuilt the motor, with a new temp guage installed. I fired it up and watched the temp go through the roof. pulled the motor again and replaced water pump, that fixed it. So the point of my post is- make sure you have coolant and it is moving, or install a temp guage to be sure.

flatlander

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
I know the temp gauges rarely work on these old sleds but has anyone seen gauges that report inaccurate temps.  I pulled one from a machine that i didn't think would work but to my surprise did.  My test was quite scientific.....2 beers, 2 steaks on the grill and some hot water but the gauge responded.  The water wasn't rapidly boiling (212 F) but the gauge read hotter than that.  I suspected it might not be right but just surprised to see it go up.  It did return rapidly after pulling it?  I quess the question is do they ever work but not so good?  I figured it was a work or not work type of deal......

What is the best replacement for these about 100 dollars south of 150 new price?