Author Topic: 81 intruder motor wont start  (Read 3725 times)

blowinsoot00

81 intruder motor wont start
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
hey guys and gals, i have a 1981 intruder 440 motor in a honda odyssey atv, it was running one day then the next i have nothing, no spark, have fuel and air. can you guys help me figure out how to test the exciter/pulser coils, cdi, and coil. ive been banging my head against the wall the last week over this thing. i pulled the flywheel off, everything looked ok?? does the motor need to be timed? ie: t.d.c. before re assembly? the timing mark on the stator and the the mark on the cover at 3 o'clock line up. i need help!!!!

jimvw57

Re: 81 intruder motor wont start
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Start by unplugging the motor connector at the top of the recoil and see if you have spark. with it disconnected, you are running on just the wiring on the motor and it takes everything else out of the picture, ignition key, kill switch, etc.  After that, it gets a bit more complicated but you can check resistance on the coils.

blowinsoot00

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
ive already unplugged the gray harness from the lighting/killswitch/ignition switch. i have tested with a test light and i get it to light up when plugged into the red wire from the stator, and lights up when plugged into one of the yellow wires from the lighting coil. as far as ohm's go, from the exciter/pulse coils i get 860 from one wire and 840 from the other wire when the meter is set on 2000. it was running great, then no start no spark. any help is greatly appreciated as were running out of riding time in az before it gets too hot.

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
Do you have a spare spark coil that you can swap in?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

blowinsoot00

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
i do not have a spare coil, but im fairly sure thats not my issue. i have nothing coming out of the cdi and im not sure whats supposed to be coming from the stator. are these motors timed like a 4 stroke where you need to be at top dead center when assembling? or do you mount the stator plate, slide the flywheel on, start it and time it from there with a timing light? i ordered from ebay a whole new pulse coil, exciter coil, flywheel, cdi box, and regular coil. fingers are crossed, just want to make sure i install correctly.

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Most motors have a mark on the stator and on the housing that you line up to set the timing. If there isn't  a mark, you will most likely have to use a dial indicator to find TDC and then move the motor to 0.073in before TDC. Make a mark on the clutch and fabricate some sort of pointer or mark on the motor to align up to it. now you can use a timing light to check the timing. You'll have to remove the flywheel to adjust the stator plate to adjust the timing.

Pulser coil resistance should be 23 ohms between the red and white wire,
Exciter coil should be 128 ohms between the red and brown wire
Spark coil should be 0.37 ohms primary (between blue and brown) and 10.2K ohms between the plug leads. Make sure you don't have the resistor caps on the sparkplug end as that will change the secondary reading.