Author Topic: kawasaki invader differant years and there differances  (Read 9762 times)

bountyhunter

kawasaki invader differant years and there differances
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
OK I have a 79 or 80 invader and a 81 that a guy gave me for parts
whats the differences if any between them going to use the suspension and track of the newer one on the older one will they fit OK?
Thanks Ferris

jimvw57

Re: kawasaki invader differant years and there differances
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
The 81 may have the Vari-ride suspension, or maybe not. you will see the differences when you look at it, the 79 has the speedometer adapter on the opposite side from the 80 and newer sleds, they are not interchangeable.

area around the steering post is a separate part from the dash on 79, 80 and up, use a one piece dash that goes around the steering post

overall everything is pretty much the same..

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
If it is original, the 81' Invader will have the better Vari-Ride suspension.  It will work in the older Invaders, but you will need the spring brackets that are mounted to the tunnel also.  IMO, its worth doing.  I have both a 79' and an 81' and the 81' rides noticeably better. 

The 80-81's have a larger heat exchanger under the seat, a larger(better) exhaust pipe, and the speedometer drive is on the chaincase whereas the 78-79's speedo drive is on the clutch side. 

bountyhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
 :D Thanks Guys the 79-80 has the orginal track with bars showing
and the exhaust is rusted threw! so glad my Friend gave me the other one, and one other ? what size carbs do they use, oh it,s a 440
also think someone told me along time ago have to run air box because carbs are power jet type? can someone explain to me the differance between the mikuni power jet and standard VM carbs
Thanks again Ferris

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »
Interesting subject.  I was told that the 1978 Invader 440 had a higher compression ratio than the 79-81 years.  I had never heard this before until just recently.  Information came from one of the K Trax members who seems to know his stuff.  I'd be interested to to know this "myself".  I always was under the impression that the cyl's heads and gaskets were the "same" from 78-81.  Can anyone confirm this?
Torys Vintage Sleds

Mad Kaw

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
the 79 has the speedometer adapter on the opposite side from the 80 and newer sleds, they are not interchangeable.

driveshafts aren't either... found that one out the hard way... funny how you find these things out 3/4 of the way of getting it back together...  ;D

ChaChi

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
I believe the reason someone may think there is a difference in compression ratio's is because the motor was also used in the John Deere Liquifire and in that machine it had some different specs... I have never herd of invaders being different from year to year tho...

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
all invader motors interchange parts, jd used low comp heads,on the outside the jd heads s plug is recessed in the head, invader is flush.

Winter Thunder

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
I think the 78 hood is a bit lighter then the later years.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
  I recently purchased a 1978 Invader 440 from Patrick Kolenko (Michigan).  He has been a member of K Trax for years.  He has posted afew pictures of sleds he has owned... also has his Ceptor on the site register.  I have talked with Pat in great length and is very knowledgeable with Kawi stuff (20+ yrs).  He claims the "true" 78 cyl's are slightly different.  We are not talking about J/D head chamber vs. Invader head chamber.  This is a small physical difference in the "cylinder department"...  so he says.  Not sayin' he is right and don't always believe everything I hear, but he seems pretty sure of this.  I have probably torn down 10-15 Kawi Invader/Liquifire engines in the past 15 years and never noticed any differences...  not to be confused with the 4/6 cyl's.  The sled is still in transit, so I can't confirm anything yet.  He also talked about the 78' hood being lighter which I have read in previous posts on K Trax.  So, let's hear from some of the "old school" Kawi guys out there.............
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »
I picked up a 78 early this spring.  I bought it specifically because of the lightweight hood.  I recall reading that the 78's  engines were slightly different.  I remember reading that they were higher compression...   

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
  Thanks...  sounds like this topic might stir up some questions...  maybe Hong Cyl Chow from Kawasaki Industries could answer this one...  (J.k)
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
78 hoods were chopped glass, newer are sheet molded, better but heavier, no doubt.no cly differences that i ever heard of.....piston  profile change is what i recall......

AdrenalineJunky

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »
If it is original, the 81' Invader will have the better Vari-Ride suspension.  It will work in the older Invaders, but you will need the spring brackets that are mounted to the tunnel also.  IMO, its worth doing.  I have both a 79' and an 81' and the 81' rides noticeably better. 

The 80-81's have a larger heat exchanger under the seat, a larger(better) exhaust pipe, and the speedometer drive is on the chaincase whereas the 78-79's speedo drive is on the clutch side.
The invader LTD had the vari-ride in 1980.