Author Topic: 79 invader won't get fuel to carb  (Read 4510 times)

Kcoles

79 invader won't get fuel to carb
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
I'm new to these sleds and I got fuel to the filter and after that it goes to something and then there's 3 lines coming out what is that and how do u get fuel to pass through it

Joel

Re: 79 invader won't get fuel to carb
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
Sounds like you have a bad pulse pump ( which can be rebuilt).Have you checked your vacuum line from pulse pump to engine block? If it has fuel in it you probably have a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

jimvw57

Re: 79 invader won't get fuel to carb
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
I'm guessing you are describing the fuel pump.
Invaders use a special pump that has an anti-siphon valve on the top. It keeps the fuel from siphoning into the carbs when the motor is not running. This happens because the gas tank sits higher than the carbs.

For fuel to run through the fuel pump. the motor needs to be running. This is why Invaders have a primer on them. It allows the motor to start without gas in the carbs. The valve in the pump opens when it senses vacuum on the line from the crankcase.

If the fuel pump was rebuilt, it is possible to put gaskets in that do not have the hole for the vacuum sensing port. (pretty common problem)  also bad crank seals can cause a fuel pump to not work as the pump runs on a "pulse' from the crankcase (pulse being alternating vacuum and pressure)

Also, if there are any air leaks in the fuel line from the tank, the pump will not work as it will draw air before it draws fuel.  Check the vents on the tank, some have 2 small hoses at the front top corners (under the dash)