General Category > General Discussion

Drifters with oil injection

(1/4) > >>

ltd440snowrider:
Did any of the Drifters come with oil injection? If so what year/years? Are they rare or just nonexistent.

Invader440:
81 Drifter is the only one with oil injection.

ChaChi:
I am always looking for drifters because they're my favorite sled of all time... I love the simplicity the fact there motors are easily found in cats, JD's, etc they were sold for utlralight planes and just a general workhorse motor in pretty decent numbers, so parts, gaskets etc will be easy to find for many years to come.

Couple that with how well they float in even the deepest of snow and the fact you can find one for 500 to 1000 bucks that you can usually clean up to like new condition because of the gel coat  fibreglass hood and aluminum belly pan...

All that being said I look for drifters all the time, locally and on fleabay and I have seen only one oil injection model and if I'm not mistaken I believe the injection wasn't integrated into the motor nicely like the other kawi's... It's likely something I would rather not have. That being said I have always liked premix while not as efficent or environmentally friendly (with conventional oil) I just like knowing the entire motor is getting the lube it needs!

A couple pictures of my drifter I picked up for 600 bucks a few years back... A few hrs of polishing and a few hundred bucks in parts and I virtually have a new old sled!

There was a time where I was riding with a friend, he was on my LTD, I was on the drifter and I was keeping up with the LTD in some very deep snow in the low part of a field...

I love my LTD, but the drifter is more fun IMO, especially when the snow gets deep!

Invader440:

--- Quote from: ChaChi on November 01, 2012, 10:53:37 AM --- I have seen only one oil injection model and if I'm not mistaken I believe the injection wasn't integrated into the motor nicely like the other kawi'

--- End quote ---

It's the same set up as the Invader/Intruder.

Lloyd (ljm):

Drifters are my favorite all around sled.

81 was the only year they had oil injection.

They used the bottom end from an Intruder engine and the top end of a
Drifter.
Very rare sleds.. I have never actually saw one.

An oil injection kit for a JD Sportfire could be put on a non oil injected Drifter

Lloyd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version