Author Topic: Crankshaft  (Read 5141 times)

Timskawi

Crankshaft
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
I just started my resto project on an interceptor I picked up this winter.  The crank is bent pretty bad, any pointers?  By chance can a crank from any other kawis be used?  Thanks for any help,
Tim.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
  You can use an 81/82 LTD bottom end.  An early issue of Sno Goer magazine had this to say...

"The Kawasaki Interceptor engine was in a unique position of probably being below par.  As soon as word leaked out last season that the new 530 parts would bolt directly on the 1981 440 LTD motors, Kawasaki parts distributors were emptied of 530 cylinders.  Not even the engineering group could get new cylinders for the 1983 Interceptor entered in Shoot-Out III."
   Pretty sure both 81/2 LTD and Interceptor bottom ends share the same X - code serial #.  Obviously, an Interceptor bottom end would be ideal, but the "bathtub style" LTD bottom end will work.  Wondering if any other members can add to this.
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
True, an 81-82' LTD crank will work.  There is a difference between the two cranks however.  The Interceptor crank has cuts in the very bottoms of the rods showing the main rod bearings.  I'd guess that they did this for extra lubrication?  Why not the LTD cranks too???

Timskawi

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the info,
Anyone ever monkey around with using the 550 or 650 jet ski crank and pistons?

Tim.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
I am currently using 550 jet ski pistons in my Interceptor.   Wrist pins need to be modified to use w/the sleds.  Unless you can get the jet ski piston pin bores modified yourself or pick up some (Bob Kloiber @ Image) I'd search for some "ready made" for the Interceptor.  I understand someone is making repop pistons for the Ceptor....  (earlier posts have given supplier name/address).
Torys Vintage Sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
What rings are you using with your jet ski pistons.  It seems the jet ski's are cast iron sleeves that don't us cast iron rings and the crome bores in the Interceptor jugs need cast iron rings.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
Image Enterprises had the rings made for this application...   the only part that actually is considered "jet ski" are the pistons themselves.  Pistons have an "oiling" hole on one side (near top) that doesn't interfere w/the transfers.  The pins and rings were made for the Ceptor bores.   FYI....  I had the cylinders stripped and Nicasiled.   You posted a very good question...  sorry I wasn't more clear.
Torys Vintage Sleds

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
the big ends of the rods were a product improvement,82 ltds were re maned 81s so had the old crank....the 550 c case has 2 impulse fittings but an ltd case can be made  to work, there are some differences were the fitting goes thru the c case.

Timskawi

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Thanks again for the info,
Tim.