Author Topic: What am I missing here?  (Read 1962 times)

rminier

What am I missing here?
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
 I launched into addressing a few cosmetic upgrades for the Invader....now I need to get my rear in gear to get it all back together in the next couple weeks.
 I see pictures in the service manual and online of some kind of strip on the top, front edge of the radiator.....is it just a strip of sticky back foam that sealed up against the underside of the hood?
 And, while I'm at it, my Invader had a different hood lanyard installed way back when I got it in 1982. The 1st owner must have snapped the original, and replaced it with a piece of 1/8 inch aircraft cable....and used a huge pop rivet to secure one end to the radiator duct on the hood, and the other end to the bottom bracket bolt for the radiator assembly.....a pretty strong solution. But, I would someday like to get back to original, and I have never seen a clear underhood pic that shows the original arrangement.....did the original lanyard have a spring attached to absorb the shock when you opened the hood? Where were the attachment points?
 A buddy gave me some scrap foam insulation sheets in 1/2, 3/4, and 1" thicknesses....best of all...FREE, so that I can restore the underhood foam that I removed 20 or 30 years ago when it started turning to dust..!
 Gotta get back to work..!  8)

Rick
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:00:52 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Dandb7

Re: What am I missing here?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »
Hi Rick,

Nice job on the rad assembly...!  For the strips, are you talking about the one on the rad itself or the aluminium duct ?

There's a mounting pad under the rad and two strips that go on the duct itself......one on top (thin part) and one on the bottom in front of the rad...

I hope i'm clear with my explanation...

Take care and happy sledding !
1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550 #558
1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440
1989 Arctic Cat Pantera 440
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo 50th Anniversary 2015 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000

Checkmarks

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
Rick,

There is no spring I am aware of original to the K design that prevents "shock load" to the lanyard cable holding the hood.

A very novel idea, but a reasonable prudent person should not snap the hood open abate the wind could have other ideas.

Are you after a perfect representation of a K sled? 

Enjoy your 2015 sledding year in style with K!

Joel

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
There was a small spring lanyard (if you so will) that would pull the cable to the side and out of the way. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

rminier

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »
 Thanks, guys. It dawned on me that I may have kept the radiator assembly from a parts sled I got 5 years ago. I had to go to a storage unit I rent (because I have too dang much stuff!) but I found it.
 My Invader has been missing that part of the aluminum strip across the top and the PTO side of the rad....for 33 years. I don't think that I have to worry about it. ;) :D
 I see the aluminum is cracked on my parts radiator...if I had looked closely at my original, I can see it had cracked in the same place.
 Dandby7, thanks...I did install a new pad below the radiator.
 Checkmarks..my sled is probably a 9 out of 10...a very nice survivor, but a few bumps and bruises..The last thing I'm going to worry about is making it into a show winner....it's a RIDER! 8)
 But, I guess I'm in the mood to fix it up a little. I may rig up a small L bracket to put this aluminum strip back in place.
 It's just me, but the "jury rigged" aircraft cable for the hood just isn't right, so I may change that, too. 8)

Rick
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:08:22 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.