Author Topic: Suspension travel on Invader  (Read 6593 times)

IraqvetUSMC

Suspension travel on Invader
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
I was wondering if their was anyway to raise the suspension some or increase the travel other than adjusting the shock for hard or softness. Maybe something like a homemade lift kit for a taller stance. Never messed with sleds and in my previous post this is my first actual sled. I had a 79 exciter as a teen and it blew up in 2 weeks so its been along time since I rode one haha.

rminier

Re: Suspension travel on Invader
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
 I hate to sound like I'm throwin' cold water on the idea. The stock rear suspension will compress to the limits of its travel, no matter where it is located. While it is true you could rivet in some new brackets to the tunnel to lower the suspension mounting holes, this won't do anything to increase the stock suspension travel. About all it will do is raise the ride height (and center of gravity) which will actually make the sled more "tippy". This would, however,  make sense if you were riding the majority of the time in deep snow, as it would keep the tunnel up out of the snow better.
  The stock rear suspension in the Invaders was very good back in the day. If I were you, I would be sure to pull the rear skid out, and thoroughly clean all of the aluminum cross shafts, then lube 'em up good with some low temperature grease. With the rear skid cross shafts, springs, shock absorber, etc. in good shape, it's surprising how well they ride.
  You can also look down the road and can always install a newer suspension. Some of the newer Polaris rear suspensions from the mid to late 90s model years are a fairly simple change, if you want to upgrade the ride...but, there is only so much you can do, because the front leaf spring skis limit the ride....they probably only have 3" of travel. The LTD's and 1981 Invader used a new ski design with a little more travel and an improved rear suspension with another inch of travel....but it's kinda a case of "It is what it is".
  I don't know of any good way to modify the stock suspension to gain any more travel.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:38:46 AM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

IraqvetUSMC

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
Thanks rminier. Sounds like I will just make it a project to clean up the skid like you said and run with it that way. Do you know where I could get new shocks for the skis without spending a fortune? would the local parts store be able to match them up.

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
Kawasaki produced a tunnel protector kit that included a lift.  See photos attached.  We fabricate lift brackets for all of our sleds with the standard suspension (79/80 - not vari-ride).  This helps to keep the studs from ripping up the inside of the tunnel.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
Kimpex makes a gas shock for the rear skid,  they're around $70 but do make a noticeable improvement in ride.  I have an 81 Invader with the updated Vari-Ride and a gas shock and I'm amazed at how well it rides. 

mswyka

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
a good shock makes a world of difference on the suspension

5kaws

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »
Yes It does!
I can make and sell these lift plates if anyone wanted me too. 
I've made lots of these for kaws and other sleds.   

bryan_damone

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Kawasaki produced a tunnel protector kit that included a lift.  See photos attached.  We fabricate lift brackets for all of our sleds with the standard suspension (79/80 - not vari-ride).  This helps to keep the studs from ripping up the inside of the tunnel.

Mark,

Is that 16 gauge sheet metal you used? Also, do you have any issues fitting the cross shaft back in since you have effectively narrowed the distance between the two brackets?

Thanks

mswyka

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
The metal shop I used was only able to go down to 11 gauge.  I would use a thinner gauge next time - 16 is probably about right.  No problem with the cross-shaft as the tunnel has a slight flare.