Author Topic: Hauling the mail on an Interceptor  (Read 3951 times)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Hauling the mail on an Interceptor
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »
  Well, after a "ton" of test and tune hours on Interceptor 593, I took it out on the back lawn yest.  Holly shit...  my wife and kids were watching out of the back window.  When the dust settled and I came through the front door, my wife looks at me and says "I thought you were going to flip it over backwards.  But then I thought to myself that he must know what he is doing."  The truth is that it actually surprised me (I didn't tell her that though).  Have you ever had a holeshot that puts you in a position where you think... if that front end had come up about two inches higher I would have been laying on my back??  Can't wait to get some vids of this for you Ceptor guys to watch...  no bs here!
           - Head milled/recut squish
           - Race port
           - Aaen pipes (wrapped)
           - 38 mm miks w/Ufo and quad wing
           - geared for 500 ft 1:9 ratio
           - Port matched intake/exhaust/transfers
           - Engagement 5500/shift at 9100
           - Comet 102 w/ Aaen custom spring/weight setup
           - Stock secondary (milled sheave faces) and tightened spring one hole
           - Lubed drive sprockets/suspension and ran track tension as loose as possible w/out ratchet
           - Alum Northstar race skis (38")
           - Drilled hyfax
           -Adjusted belt tension/offset
           - 144 carbide pics (multi designs w/directionals)
           - Adjusted suspension springs  (more ski lift) ....     I am sure there is something else...
Torys Vintage Sleds

Winter Thunder

Re: Hauling the mail on an Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
Can't wait for the vids.  Sounds like theres some money invested in that set up lol. ;D   You plan on drag racing it?  If so you dont want a lot of "air time" with the front end.

Just curious, whats a ufo and quad ring?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:37:58 PM by Winter Thunder »

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:24 PM »
  Wasn't leaning "over" the bars like I should have done...  I'll remember that next time!  The ufo and wing have been around since the late 90's.  They work w/the mic roundslides.  Ufo fits on the underside of the slide to "smooth out" the incomming air (minimize eddying) and the wing fits on the inner bore (splits the airflow into four sections) to speed flow.  Basically turns a roundslide into a flatslide.  Well worth the $ IMO there is a noticeable improvement in holeshot/midrange acceleration.  Only changes in pilot jets and needle clip position (1 rich).
   It is pretty easy to spend $ on any toy, but when you consider the average price for a "new" machine it makes this project seem slim in comparison.  Not to mention it's a Kawasaki...  can't get one of these at your local recreational leisure outlet.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
  Oh, forgot to mention that I was setting up the gearing/clutching for the grass drags here in about two weeks (500ft).  When snow flies, I'll be changing ratio to 1:73 or so, and re adjusting ski and suspension set up.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:31 AM »
The first time I took 398 for a ride it was on grass.  You get there fast when you have traction!

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »
  Looks like I will have a video in the next few days...  400ft on grass.  I am fortunate enough to have a fairly flat field that I measured and staked every hundred feet and sixty foot mark.  Good holeshot and seems to touch down at about 40 ft. out...  just shy of sixty ft mark. I have alittle more "clutching" to play with but otherwise she's ready!  Even though I am 40, it is hard not to feel 21 again!  Nothing like a good adrenaline rush (when the hair on the back of your neck) stands up.  Not so much any on my head, maybe when I was 21.
Torys Vintage Sleds