Author Topic: Cant decide what vintage sled I want.....  (Read 1981 times)

heiner921

Cant decide what vintage sled I want.....
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Well I am debating between two sleds here. I know this is a Kawasaki site and it may get me a biased answer here but lmk what you all think...

A buddy of mine has a 75 sno jet that since the first time I ever saw it, I loved the thing.  Now 10 years later it was offered to me. 
Any ways..its a 75 snojet 340 f/a.   I'm guessing it is an SST...  Any value to it?    Sled is in very good shape just needs a little cleaning. 1000 original miles. Can get for $400..  A sled worth having? Worth trying to flip?   Sled does have a temperature gauge on top of the handlebars. Haven't seen any online with this gauge... Is it an "add-on" or is this aftermarket?     

I'm also in the middle of a current project John Deere cyclone 440.  Its a full restoration.     Which sled is more  valuable/desirable?   
I can only really have one sled due to space... I love both and can't decide which one to keep.... Lmk what you think.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Cant decide what vintage sled I want.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
Both nice sleds, you may need to just flip a coin.

Gilson435

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
Personally I'd rather have the Sno-Jet 8) Not that the Deere is a bad sled or anything.... :-\
69 Panther 372 JLO
73 Gilson 435
80 Kawasaki Intruder 440
81 Pantera,93 Jag,(2)94 Cougars, (2)Prowlers, (2)Z440's
2002 Polaris XCSP 800

rminier

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
 Buy a little storage compartment from Menards and keep both!  8)
 They are both cool sleds. I have owned my '75 SnoJet Astro SS since 1979. It has a mild, 32 HP, fan cooled 340 Yamaha motor.
 The 340 F/A would be an SST model, but there is virtually no difference between it and my Astro, other that the much hotter engine, and a different (Arctic Hex) clutch.
 My SnoJet is extremely lightweight, extremely easy to work on, has been very reliable, and absolutely great in deep snow, due to the tapered tunnel. Parts are still fairly easy to find.
 I would look closely at the track. These had a spring steel bar style track....much like the 1st Kawaskis had, which required a recall to replace the steel bar tracks.
 Those steel bars can come loose or break, and good, original tracks are getting hard to find.
 You can convert to a different track with a little bit of work....either a typical 121" track, (which requires moving the suspension backwards, and probably having to remove the snow flap) or, better yet, a 116" track from a mid-eighties Yamaha Phazer, etc....or something similar.
 The Sno Jet guys love those F/A SST's....you certainly aren't going to lose money at 400 bucks, if it's nice and runs.
 I don't know much about the Deere....but there are still a bunch of Deere sled enthusiasts around that would want it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:14:12 AM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.