Author Topic: Kawasaki Vs. John Deere  (Read 929 times)

Vader440

Kawasaki Vs. John Deere
« on: November 22, 2023, 08:52:50 PM »
I'm just wondering how John Deere snowmobiles compare to Kawasaki snowmobiles.

gixxer6

Re: Kawasaki Vs. John Deere
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 08:17:41 AM »
On this site, you’ll likely hear that Kawasakis are better, on a Deere site they’ll say Deeres are better.  In my opinion, they are both great sleds.  If you compare the Invader to a 80-84 Liquifire, they both will have their positive and negatives…. For example the Liquifire handles better, while the Invader does better in the deeper snow (longer track).  The later model Liquifire was tuned better, with a better design head, better clutches, and better ignition system.  While the 81 Invaders vari-ride suspension had a superior ride.  And of course there’s the looks aspect, which is subjective, but of course I think the Invader is far better looking. 

Kawasaki also had better offerings in the later years, John Deere didn’t have comparable models to the LTDs and the Interceptor. 

Vader440

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 07:56:18 PM »
Good to know. I appreciate the information. I'm looking at adding a JD Trailfire to the collection and was just wondering sense they both have Kawasaki engines.

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 09:40:50 AM »
I think that there is only one way to find out.  You have to have one of each.  :-)
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 08:33:39 PM »
I think that there is only one way to find out.  You have to have one of each.  :-)

What he said!

Vader440

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 07:34:39 PM »
I'll keep you all posted if I get it.

MaxThrottle

• In search of snow!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »
I can attest that both John Deere and Kawasaki snowmobiles are good, reliable machines.  After a couple of restoration projects I will say that the John Deeres seem to be a simpler design with fewer parts.  The TPR sides of the belly pan are kinda flexible and flimsy (hard to find a NOS set too, good used and repops are out there) but DAMN! the center belly pan is tough as heck..

Be sure to look for the ones with the full rubber yokahama track vs the grouser bars, the seat bottom and cover are easy to find and replicate. Decals are colorful but a bit expensive ($150-200 for a set.  Go for the high windshield but be careful to adjust the handlebars as the will likely contact make in a full turn.  The 1980 340 trailfire was my entry the JD herd  it is light, spirited but doesn't turn as well at slow speeds as I'd like (not much weight on the front skis)

Get one, you'll appreciate and enjoy the differences!   

Vader440

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 06:58:51 PM »
I can attest that both John Deere and Kawasaki snowmobiles are good, reliable machines.  After a couple of restoration projects I will say that the John Deeres seem to be a simpler design with fewer parts.  The TPR sides of the belly pan are kinda flexible and flimsy (hard to find a NOS set too, good used and repops are out there) but DAMN! the center belly pan is tough as heck..

Be sure to look for the ones with the full rubber yokahama track vs the grouser bars, the seat bottom and cover are easy to find and replicate. Decals are colorful but a bit expensive ($150-200 for a set.  Go for the high windshield but be careful to adjust the handlebars as the will likely contact make in a full turn.  The 1980 340 trailfire was my entry the JD herd  it is light, spirited but doesn't turn as well at slow speeds as I'd like (not much weight on the front skis)

Get one, you'll appreciate and enjoy the differences!   I did pick up a 1981 440 Trailfire. I like how the engine cover hinges up to give you easy access to the carb. I haven't gotten to ride it yet though still waiting on some snow. Thanks for the input!