Author Topic: Clutch conversion - Comet  (Read 5799 times)

Macs80hp440

Clutch conversion - Comet
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
Clutches is new to me.  I think clutches are made to fit per brand of sled...?  Will a Comet clutch on a '79 Blizzard fit on an Invader?  In other words, do they interchange between brands?  If not, is there an adapter...or something.  Or perhaps a btter questions is- will a comet clutch outperform an Invader clutch...and how?

Thanks for the consideration.

Mac
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

jimvw57

Re: Clutch conversion - Comet
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
The main thing is how they are attached to the motor. some have a straight shaft, some have a tapered shaft. Also the size of the shaft may be different.

Macs80hp440

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
Ok- since posting my question, I found more details.  Blizzard Comet is model 208302A.  Invader Comet is 208306A.  And I found both are 30mm and 1:10 taper shaft. So it seems they both fit on the shaft, but I suppose I would then need to change cams and springs to suit the different motor, yes?  So am I on the right track.

I found on kawitrax the Comet settings howing the springs and cam for kawasaki motors. 

'76 Rupp Rally

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
sounds about right.  I have a comet clutch on my Intruder, and Kawi clutches on everything else. I believe the comet clutches have more options for tuning, but for general trails and such, the kawi clutch should be fine. You could go with an LTD clutch for a higher engagement setting, or tweak the settings a bit by changing springs or weights,  since Comet no longer is around (so I heard) parts may be getting scarce for them too (don't know)

You looking for racing? drag??  I might have one or two Kawi clutches laying around in the shed...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:28:10 AM by jimvw57 »

Macs80hp440

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
You looking for racing? drag??  I might have one or two Kawi clutches laying around in the shed...

My goal, as this is my first "restore" project, is to make a clean looking and strong running trail sled that can also keep me happy on lakes and long stretches.  I'm a big guy (6'3" 270lb) so a little more power is always a good thing.  So I don't mind doing small adjustemnts to gain another 5-10% power, but I don't want a sled that is only happy wide open.  As much fun as that is, I know how I plan to use it most of the time.

With that said- I have three spare clutches ranging from '78 to '80 invader.  I already learned the '80 clutch is better (for some reason).  I was just wondering about a Comet clutch from my Blizzard.  Not making any decisions yet, just getting all the cards in my hand.  Either way, for reasons of performance, or for reasons of learning- I plan to try different options and adjustments.

I found on KawiTrax some ideas for improving the Kawi Clutches- so, I truly appreciate this resource.
'76 Rupp Rally

JDmatt

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
In addition to the shaft size and taper, you also need to check the offset - there are Comet clutches that may hit your frame if they are designed to sit closer to the engine such as the early Deere/CCW ones. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Checkmarks

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
With the clearly different part numbers it will not work.  The 30mm and 1:10 taper shaft is the same but the depth of the taper is deeper on the doo clutch. 

What makes a better different (non-K) clutch better?  Answer: The efficiency of the clutching.  In addition say with Polaris P-85 you can achieve overdrive.  The clutches stay cooler.  When I ran the K clutching they would get hot enough to torture your terrorist types.  With the P clutching I would not be afraid to put my tongue on them right after the race around the oval.  Better yet if you convert you can even get one of those fancy roller clutches (now were talking).  Roller clutches are not better for strictly drag racing but way better for real ridding.   

P-85 clutches that come off a Fuji motor work.  Also I have heard of some Liberty motored clutches that can work as well.  When you get the wrong one it still bolts on but when you bolt it down it will grind into the back of the clutch.   To make the secondary work you have to cut the jack shaft down, weld it up then have the key way cut out.

jimvw57

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »
Well I am 6'5 and lets just say "pushing maximum Density" these days. No problems riding on my 82 Intruder or my 80 4/6..