Author Topic: idle speedo  (Read 2334 times)

rminier

idle speedo
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »
Ok, Tory and you other "old hands" on here. Tory, among the MANY kawis you own and the 83 Vmax, I'm kinda baffled by the 3000 idle speed for my 79 invader and the 1500 idle speed for the Vmax. Both are piston ported, very similar. The Vmax is actually a lil' "hotter" with an 8200 power peak. The 'vaders is 7800 to 8000. ' Bout the only dif' is the Yami came from the factory with twin pipes. I'm not complaining, both run like "pickle seeders" and I like to keep things stock. Never felt any need to deviate from stock spec. Just curious. I would think that there would be a split second lag from a standing start for the yammi to spool up from 1500 to engagement. The kawasaki is a lot closer to it's engagement speed. Seems like a big difference for two similar motors, although I have never tried idling the Kawi at 1500. Hey, it's the dog days of summer. Throw you thoughts out there.
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

rminier

Re: idle speedo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
Idle Speedo? Sorry bout that. Idle speed!  60 year old eyes and using a tiny kindle fire will do that to you. Fortunately I have a full size keyboard at work. Tory, I found your site last week. I must tell you that is GREAT. Great envy on my part. With 3 sons and 3 daughters (could never get out of diapers and now can't keep from having at least 2 in college). Never had the time to.explore the 'net much. Now enjoying it immensely. VintagevmaxLiving in north central Indiana people think I'm crazy for owning 4 snowmobiles. Ahh, they just don't understand. Oh, my 3 sons are named Adam, Aaron, and Tory!
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Hi,  So what I tell is only from "my" experience...   I am sure you will get many other opinions.  Bottom line...  you tune for what works best for your riding style.   I "like" idle closer to engagement.  Generally, drag racers like to see higher idle speeds.  The Vmax should be engaging at 3800 +/-.  Your spread is about 2300 between idle and engage.  I set my idle at 2500 on my Vmax (my preference).  Don't forget the 540 will show more torque than the Invader at lower rpms so raising the engagement and/or idle on your Vmax would not be as beneficial as would be an increase on your Invader.  The torque/hp curves are much different for those two engines.  Also, the Invader and Vmax use different needles and needle jets (same slide cutaway 2.5) so that will have an impact on your "low end" calibration.  You will hear mixed reviews on the Kawi clutches (good and bad).  Here's my take...  You will find clutch misalignment, worn out primary and secondary bushings, cam slide shoes worn flat...   you get the idea.  It is quite a job finding all new parts for these clutches, so the low end "bog" is pretty common.  You raise your idle...  your engagement, or both and you bring the motor closer to it's power curve.  You end up "pulling the sled through" all it's ineffiencies.  The torque curve for the Invader will "start" at a higher RPM than the Vmax, so a higher idle and engagement would be beneficial.  So...     even though you have two piston port motors that "seem" comparable...   they are not.  You have different power curves and different low end carb calibrations - not to mention chassis weight differences (60 lbs+/-) and gearing!  I am sure I have left something out.  Others will chime in on this.  Unless you are racing your Vmax or performing engine mods...  leave it just the way it is (more fuel/trail friendly).      Tory
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:58:31 PM »
I set the idle on my Invaders to 1500.  I prefer it that way.

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »
As long as it idles below the clutch engagement speed, you should be OK.  The faster the better.