Author Topic: Disappearing Oil  (Read 2817 times)

Truder78

Disappearing Oil
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
I noticed that the oil seems to be dropping and there is air in the oil line. (not even running)Replaced the line bleed the oil pump until the output lines had no air and the line was full. Tightened all lines no dripping or leaks and marked the tank and today it is down a little again. Oil stop lever is fully closed at idle or when engine is off is it possible to have oil leaking by the pump? Heated garage so temps don't seem to be a factor. This ever happen to anyone?
Kawasaki Snowmobiles
Riding the thrill of a life time

kawhead

Re: Disappearing Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »
leaking past a banjo fitting?   will it drop more as days go by?smoke bad at start up?

Truder78

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
Yes smokes and spits oil like it's the first startup of the season running premix first tank after rebuild Pistons seals cylinders ect I did put jd heads on it could the compression change cause this?
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
kawhead called it.  You have a bad banjo.  I have had this problem on mine for years, just never got around to fixing it.  It smokes terribly at the beginning of each season, other than that its not noticeable.  Sounds like yours is worse it's probably time to change it. 

The heads have nothing to do with it. 

Why did you put JD heads on it? 

Truder78

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
The old heads were toast when I removed them I had picked up a couple of new jd heads years ago when I saw them just in case the day came when we couldn't get any stock heads so they were on the shelf and after the time and money trying to get this sled going again with all the missing parts back on it I used them. When it runs (if) I may switch it back to stock.I really think this sled doesn't like me with all the problems I'm finding. :(
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »
Banjo's are very delicate. They have a spring loaded check valve inside to keep oil from running into cylinders and crank case when not running. If someone in the past shoved something in the banjo and felt resistance they usually jabbed at the check valve until it was destroyed not realizing that there is a valve in there. Another problem is someone uses pressurized air to clean them. This can also destroy the check valve.
Banjo for the 86 Polaris Indy 400, Polaris Part # 3083894, is the same and was available last time I checked.
There is a procedure in the manual for checking them.

Truder78

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
Thx for the info
I have a pop off tester I use for the jetski carbs so I will pull them and test them. I may have used compressed air on them when I blew off the parts before assembly go figure
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:38 AM »
Hope this helps

Truder78

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »
Thx Boom... I have the manual for the sled but I skipped the part of checking the bangos as I new they were new a few years ago so I missed the not to use compressed air part pretty sure that is what happened. I call things like that operator error. I was excited and in a hurry to get it together to feel that Kawi pull  ;D I just need to slow down like I did on my intruder recheck everything due it right do it once. You still mining and blowing stuff up :) ? anyone know how Karl is doing?
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »
I've done that too and sometimes I still get in a hurry and skip things.
Since my back surgery 10 years ago I haven't been up to the mine. Can't climb the mountain. Same with blowing things up. Haven't been on a sled since then either. Sold 21 motorcycles a year ago and will sell off the rest in spring. Having trouble selling sleds but should. Makes me sad seeing them covered with snow.