Author Topic: Fuel Tank issues runs out of gas only uses half tank please help  (Read 2884 times)

Ethan Spracklen

I have a 1978 Intriguer 440 and I'm riding around where I live in the country and I run out of gas or my machine shuts off and I still have a half a tank of gas left is there a hose in the bottom of the gas tank that sucks it up from the bottom because when I cleaned out the gas tank there was broken plastic pieces in it because I'm only able to get 10-15 miles before it's done for so is there usually a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank that sucks it up to the exit point in the tank a couple inches above the bottom of the tank. And my machine is also bogging out when I start going into deep snow or banging on it on the road it's fine and cruise's fine please help before we get more snow ❄️

jimvw57

Re: Fuel Tank issues runs out of gas only uses half tank please help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
There should be a tube from the bottom of the tank that curves up and then back down, with a weighted end  that will keep it in the fuel unless the tube is hardened from age and the weight is missing. also the fuel lines could be leaking air into the fuel causing the carb to run out of fuel.

Make sure you have a new belt to help with bogging in the deep stuff

Ethan Spracklen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Thank you when i cleaned the tank there were plastic pieces all over and I thought someone dropped something in it but it was probably that line do you know How i could replace that

Truder78

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Make sure the line isn't to short also the weight on my two is metal not plastic.
Kawasaki Snowmobiles
Riding the thrill of a life time

Ethan Spracklen

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
Thanks just took my fuel tank off I have 2 intriguers and there is broken plastic pieces and a metal weight any idea how to put a new line on inside

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
The line in the tank should be long enough to reach the back of the tank. It should have a metal weight/check valve/screen on the end. In the past I used a metal rod with a 90% bend one inch from the end and a piece of string tied in a slip knot to hold the open end of the tube to the rod. Pushed the tube on the fitting and removed the string.
Later I purchased a very long pair of needle nose pliers which also work.

Ethan Spracklen

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks I actually pulled the tank and heard something rolling around so I looked and it was the weight so I used a magneti and got that then unthreated the fitting on the fuel tank and now bought some fuel line and I'm going to redo all the lines and replace the hose and weight in the tank I'm going to have to do this to both my machines because the hose in the tank is cracked and broken on them both