Author Topic: Kawasaki man in Maine  (Read 4544 times)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Kawasaki man in Maine
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Hello!  I am new to KTrax... just wanted to share my personal "Kawi" website with the "Interceptor" crew.  I snapped some good pics and videos!  Anyone out there from Maine??  www.torysvintagesleds.com  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:18:15 PM by Trucker »
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

Re: Kawasaki man in Maine
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »
Welcome to the site!  Nice website, and sleds! 

ChaChi

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:40 AM »
Neat to watch the difference between the ceptor and LTD... Looks the the ceptor is a ski puller, I know my LTD like that one in the video in conditions like that pulls like a drag car....

I need to make some decent video's of my sleds, every time we get snow I just ride and ride and forget about pictures and video!

Cheers and congrats on the great condition vintage iron! Your sleds look awesome!

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
I spent many hours with the primary clutch spring/weight selection on the Interceptor.   I am using a comet on #593.  Also, ported cylinders to match the Aaen pipes.  I had the head machined  (squish band .85 mm) and chamber deepened (running aprox. 155 psi hot).  If you checked the stock "squish band" tolerance with the copper o-rings you'd be amazed at the clearance (wide).  I am using a set of new 530 kawi jet ski pistons (modified wrist pins).  The pipes are advertised to make power in the 9000 rpm range so I've clutched accordingly (too bad I don't have a dyno to confirm).  If anyone is interested in the comet weight/spring setup I could check my notes-would gladly share any info if it helps.  I was able to keep engagement at 5000 rpm's for trail riding.  Aside from arguments I've heard over the Aaen pipe power increases, one thing is for sure... you "feel" the weight reduction in the front end (handles better).  We are talking at least 20 lbs weight savings.  Also using 38 mm mikunis.  I had to play with the jets/needles quite a bit.  There were some great posts on this site w/carb calibrations (thanx to all).  Stock gearing... changed front leaf spring pin location.  THIS IS A FUN SLED!

As for the 80' LTD 4/6 (all stock)... once you get the cadillac moving say, 20 mph or so, sled pulls hard.   If I were a betting man I'd quess the LTD would give the Interceptor a good run (on top end).  I don't think stock for stock, the horsepower ratings are much different... 75 vs. 85hp ish. 

Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »
Tory,

Where did you end up with jetting?  Are you running the stock airbox or???

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:25 AM »
I used 38mm carbs (no boring) 6DH7, 40m pilots, 340 mains...  I went from a 35 to a 40 pilot jet.  With the 35 I had the air screw adjustment at only 1/2 turn out from seat, or it wouldn't idle.  The 40 pilot allowed me to set the air screw @ aprox. 1 1/4 turns from seat.  I am running velocity stacks w/no airbox.  Note....  After I corrected the calibration the temps stayed above 20-25 degrees.   I predict a main jet change may be in order below 20.  I had just rebuilt the motor and was not in a position to run on the edge of starvation!  Be reminded, this motor has porting, etc so this setup might not work for a stock motor... but you knew that.
Torys Vintage Sleds