Author Topic: Invader #2  (Read 13607 times)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Invader #2
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
Did it loose any coolant?

kawhead

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
idk if the crank seal caused it but imo it'll need a piston >:(

JDmatt

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
I keep saying this... crank seals good or bad will not have any effect on compression. Once the piston is past the intake port, it is all up to the piston, rings, cylinder, head and gasket to make the compression.

Crank seals only affect the air/fuel mix. Too much air and the cylinder will run hot which is what melts pistons and such.  Or too much air and it won't start.

I'd look at cylinder wear, or possibly stretched  cylinder studs. The acorn type nuts on the top can bottom out when they are torqued down and make you think the head is tight when it is not. Add a washer or two under them, or replace the studs.

You might be on to something there with the studs.  That would explain the lack of compression without anything obviously wrong. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

JDmatt

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »
Did it loose any coolant?

Nope, didn't appear to. 
Matt

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 04:40:34 AM »
hey Matt

What gaskets did you use when you had the engine apart?

I have had similar issues when I used Winderosa gaskets, not always but sometimes.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

kawhead

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »
just because you cant see damage thru the exaust port doesnt mean the piston is ok....and, no, crank seals wont have an affect on compression......untill it makes that cyl run lean :o

JDmatt

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
just because you cant see damage thru the exaust port doesnt mean the piston is ok....and, no, crank seals wont have an affect on compression......untill it makes that cyl run lean :o

As I mentioned earlier, I pulled the head too.  There is no damage.  Lloyd, I didn't replace the gasket yet.  I'm getting ready to move, so after my new shop is set up, I'll get back to this project. 
Matt

kawhead

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
if i had it tore down that far i'd pop the cyl off....what do you think the low comp. is caused by?

JDmatt

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
LOL, I didn't take it apart any further because my shop is already a huge mess and I didn't want to make it  even worse before I can get organized. 
Matt

kawhead

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
i understand the mess...my little boat shop looks like a rip tide went thru ???...bet you a crown and water at waconia it has a 4 square seize :P

JDmatt

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »
My Invader is back together and running again.  As it turns out it did have a little meltdown that I couldn't see until I pulled the cylinders, which I believe was caused by dirty carbs.  The previous owner had told me he had cleaned them last year, but I shouldn't have listened, they were pretty messy.  Complete rebuild, cylinder and piston off a spare engine with new SPI rings both sides, Wiseco Gaskets and seals. 

I threw one of my New Breed ski conversions on it too, unfortunately the blue does not match very closely. 
Matt

kawhead

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
4 square is most often dirty carbs/lean....i clean the carbs on mine every year even with stabilized fuel, don't want to get out of practice ;)