Author Topic: 79 intruder 440 need help with fixing it  (Read 7811 times)

fuzzman200

79 intruder 440 need help with fixing it
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
I was giving this sled and had it running. Drove it a few weekends ago and it ran fine. Now i have a problem where it dont want to start and when it does it smokes and blows oil out the exshust  what could be wrong and how to fit it. Thank u

Boomologist

• Administrator
Re: 79 intruder 440 need help with fixing it
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »
Couple things to check:
Is it oil or gas/oil in the exhaust? Are you running pre-mix along with the injection system?
Could gas be running into cylinders from a stuck float or bad fuel pump?? Are spark plugs wet with oil or gas?
If suspected gas shut off gas at tank.
Also, if you suspect gas BE CAREFUL. Work on it outside. Have fire extinguisher close by.  And remember a muffler with the proper gas/air ratio can become a bomb.
I had a sled that dripped gas into the engine eventually running out the exhaust and onto my shop floor. Just glad it didn't find a spark.

fuzzman200

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »
Im almost sure its oil cause it looks and feels like oil. No im not runing a premix in it and i have cleaned the carbs and when i check the plugs when it does start looks to me they starting to get black and foul up

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
Are both spark plugs fouling out or just one?

Part of the oil injection system includes the "Banjo's" at each intake port. These have check valves inside. If the check valve is damaged or stuck open it will allow oil to drip into the cylinder over time. After a week or so the cylinder will be flooded with oil until it burns it off. Then it will start/run good until it sets for a while.
Do not use pressurized air when cleaning a banjo or it will damage the check valve. Also, the aluminum bolt that goes through the banjo is very soft and easily twists off.
There is another possibility. The gear case that houses the oil pump may be leaking oil. This is easy to verify through the site glass. No oil showing=leak.

fuzzman200

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
Both plugs are and it looks like the glass is about half full with oil

5kaws

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
110% Sure it's not gas?
 And it not look like oil because the gas is watering down the oil in the exhaust and dropping to floor?
Just saying had same problem on one my intruders.  Turned out to be bad fuel pump. Or check needle and seat also.   
If u think it oil mark your tank and see if it goes low. If so then check cable and check valves

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
I agree that it may be gas/oil combo. I, too, had same thing happen with gas but without checking a few things it's difficult to say. One thing I did in the past was to take two hemostats (like doctors use) and close off fuel at tank.

5kaws

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
Any luck with the sled?

fuzzman200

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:23 AM »
No luck with it yet was out yesterday for a few hours looking at it and checking different things.  Since i had it started the last time it wont start now. It has a spark and its getting gass just wont start not sure what else to do to it

mswyka

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
If the sled has spark and has fuel, and if you had it running and it ran fine - something had to change between when it ran and now.  I do not see anything in this thread about crank seals.  It is very possible if the sled has multiple years on the seals and/or if it has not run for a while that one or more of the seals may have failed.  The leakage out of the exhaust may just be an artifact of trying to push more fuel into the engine to get it going.  Additionally, it is possible that there may may have been a cold set in the rings and after getting it going you are getting some blow by, losing compression making it difficult to start.

It may make the most sense to tear it all down to check it out and make sure that everything is good before trying to diagnose.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

fuzzman200

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »
I was just out looking it over could it be it not getting enough gass. I was looking and it looks to be that one fuel filer has more gass in it then the other one. One filter is all the way full and the other one is only like half if that would would it be smart to change the fuel pump

mswyka

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
I was just out looking it over could it be it not getting enough gass. I was looking and it looks to be that one fuel filer has more gass in it then the other one. One filter is all the way full and the other one is only like half if that would would it be smart to change the fuel pump

If you prime it  will it start?  If it starts on a prime and then quits then you could say that it is not getting fuel.  If priming does not help then I would encourage you to go back to square one and pull the engine apart.  We learned the hard way that these engines need TLC.  We would get one and "see how it acted"  They always acted badly until we rebuilt the engine.  Now we don't even try to run them, they come straight into the shop and the engine comes out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:45:56 PM by mswyka »
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

jimvw57

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:25 AM »
OK, start over... 1.) check compression.  2.) check spark 3) drain the gas and use fresh gas.

Now address the crank seals. If the crank seals are bad, it will start hard, not idle right, not pump fuel right, run poorly at top end, etc... Never a bad idea to change them if you don't know how long they have been in there, and sometimes even then. I have seen new seals that have torn or leaked.  Especially if engine temp seems to make a difference.

Carbs, the left and right carbs are not identical on the Intruder. they use different jets to compensate for one running a touch warmer than the other. Use Mikuni needle and seats, others tend to leak.

Exhaust. If the exhaust has a mouse nest inside, it could start hard and run erratic.

Fuel pump. There is a check valve on them that can leak, and on the outlet side, there is a screen filter inside the pump. If you rebuild the pump, make sure all the gaskets you replace are the same as the old ones. the one for the check valve has been known to be missing a hole that activates the valve. (been there)

Boomologist

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
Depending on location/orientation it sometimes normal to have air in a gas filter. You may want to put a fuel shutoff valve on the line from the tank to pump.
Another consideration is that when a 2 stroke engine floods sometimes it will make the spark plugs not fire right for awhile. I always would install new plugs after I worked a flood out.

fuzzman200

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 05:49:34 PM »
Where can i get a fuel pump for a 1979 intruder 440