Site News > Discussion & Help

Gas Tank Removal Question on1981 St440-A4

<< < (2/2)

mswyka:

--- Quote from: Chuck K on September 22, 2022, 06:25:23 PM ---I just got the shop manual last night by PDF.  The gas tank removal is set out perfectly as you mentioned with complete diagrams.  I do have another question though in regards to the skeg.  I will need to weld a new rod that protrudes into the front of the ski as one has been broken off somehow.  Should I make it out of something hard like D2 or just mild rolled steel?  Thanks again for all the help and advice!  Cheers!

--- End quote ---

I believe that the wear rods are mild steel.  I have never made my own, I normally buy new rods.  Non-carbide are quite inexpensive, but my preference is for the rods with carbide inserts. They last longer and give me better control on ice.  Wear rods are readily available from most outlets.

mswyka:
I will add that the seat bolts will probably break.  For the 20 or 30 Kawasaki sleds that have come into our shop, I have not had a single seat bolt come off correctly.  All the bolts have broken or have stripped out of the seat pan.  There are a few different approaches to fixing this issue, but that is the topic of other threads on this forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version