Author Topic: Kawasaki Invader Temperature gauge vs. John Deere Liquid-fire gauge  (Read 5043 times)

yamakaw

I am having a problem finding a replacement water temperature gauge for a 1981 Invader sled but manged to secure a working used unit from a John Deere.  The problem is that it appears to be in need of some sort of adapter. It looks like both have 3/8 - 18 american standard pipe threads but the Deere (will call it a thermo-couple) end does not thread in far enough to allow the two parts to seal. I am not looking for total originality but more so the engine does not over heat , so with that being said does anyone know how to make a John Deere temp guage work in a Kaw Invader.

Also if someone can tell me how to display pics, i have 2 Invaders, and an Intruder, over the years have got a ton of advice from this site and a few others.

Thanks

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Kawasaki Invader Temperature gauge vs. John Deere Liquid-fire gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
...   Funny you should bring this up...  I am actually having a hell of a time finding a working temp gauge for my 82' Liquifire!!  I am wondering if your Deere temp gauge is the older Liquifire gauge (non Kawi motor).  If it is the newer generation Liquifire temp gauge it should work fine as the motor is the same as Invaders.  If your gauge "face" is white, it should be the newer gauge.  If it is the one I need, maybe we can make a trade...  as I am sure I could find a good working Invader gauge. ;)  Send me a pm if you'd like to discuss.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

I have both Liquifire's and Invader's. I have never attempted (yet anyway) to use one brand gauge in the other brand sled. I can't imagine they are any different. I do have aftermarket gauge's in both brands. There is an adapter come with the gauges.

Like Tory said you might have a gauge for a Kirotz powered Liquifire, But I'm sure they should interchange as well.
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

yamakaw

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
The Liquid Fire guage face is black, and I believe it has the running deer on the bottom      ( away from home for the holidays). The threaded end on both guages appears to be a 3/8 - 18 american standard pipe tap, but the overall length of the end appears to be the issue . While the john deere guage will thread in no problem, it does not tighten up enough against the threaded portion of the cable and i can just tell coolant will run back out, never even bothered to re-fill coolant.

If i was at home i could post a picture (providing i knew how) of a side by side comparison of the ends on both guages, it appears to me either the cross over coolant manifold is different on both machines or the deere threaded into an adaptor of some type.

I can't remember if I read it here or where I seen it but do recall the cylinder heads have different style combustion chambers from the deere sleds to the Kaws, so although the engine difference are subtle, I guess they do exist.

I would be more than willing to trade heads up a working Deere guage for an Invader guage.

If anyone out there can check or email me a pic of the Deere guage threading into the crossover coolant manifold it may answer my question, my email is yamakaw@yahoo.com

On another note has anyone had success using a Stewart Warner mechanical temp. guage, i have done a little research and found a few that may work. 

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »
The Deere used an adapter (extension) copper I believe.  My 82' has that extension for more thread length.  You are correct.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
I am having a problem finding a replacement water temperature gauge for a 1981 Invader sled but manged to secure a working used unit from a John Deere.  The problem is that it appears to be in need of some sort of adapter. It looks like both have 3/8 - 18 american standard pipe threads but the Deere (will call it a thermo-couple) end does not thread in far enough to allow the two parts to seal. I am not looking for total originality but more so the engine does not over heat , so with that being said does anyone know how to make a John Deere temp guage work in a Kaw Invader.

Also if someone can tell me how to display pics, i have 2 Invaders, and an Intruder, over the years have got a ton of advice from this site and a few others.

Thanks

When you click the reply button at the bottom is an "Attachments and other options" button.  Click it and you can add pics.  Good Luck!