Author Topic: Belly pans back to black?  (Read 2645 times)

JDmatt

Belly pans back to black?
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
Any tips to restore an '80 invader belly pan back to black other then paint?  This one is in nice shape but is fairly faded, which became obvious after removing the registration decals.  I tried some plastic polish that I had, which shined it up, but it is still faded & discolored. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Belly pans back to black?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
  You might try "Mothers"    "back to black".  It leaves a shine though......   comes in a gel that you apply in small amounts.  Auto parts stores carries it.  Good luck!
Torys Vintage Sleds

thomy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
PC Racing makes a product called Plastic Renew. It's made to restore plastic parts to look like new, depending on how bad they are scuffed up. It takes some elbow grease to use but it really works and the plastic looks great after using it. It retails for about $20.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »
I know you said "other than paint", but its worth mentioning that I have had VERY good results using Krylon Fusion for plastic Satin Black paint.  I've done belly pans, dash pieces, and gas tanks.  The satin black paint makes them lool like the orignal paint.  It DOES NOT peel or flake off, but don't spill any gas on the tank! 

If you try the plastic renew products mentioned, take a before and after picture and post your results. 

JDmatt

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »
I tried the Mother's back to black.  It helped a little, but not a big difference. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles