Author Topic: Duhoooh!! (hits head with palm)  (Read 2613 times)

jimvw57

Duhoooh!! (hits head with palm)
« on: September 10, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
What an idiot! been messing with my 4/6 off and on and it suddenly occured to me. Last time I rode it, it was flooding from some bad needle and seats, It sat for awhile until i redid the carbs and fuel pump, also new hoses. Now it acts like it is running on one cylinder and the mag side doesn't seem to get warm....

I was thinking it could be a plugged exhaust..... Anybody want to say it?? hard starting, runs on one cylinder, ....

CRANK SEALS!!!! been about 5 or 6 years since they were changed and I doubt the flooding helped.

:-[  yup got me again!

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Duhoooh!! (hits head with palm)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »
Better to find this out NOW than when it gets to -10 with a 20mph windchill.  In that case you'd better have a nice heated garage....     (I don't)
Torys Vintage Sleds

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
Garage?? I'd be happy with a driveway!!  184 year old house and no stinking driveway or garage...

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
Well, according to the records...  our house is about 170 years old.  The barn (where all my stuff is) is a roller coaster (you could roll baseballs from one end to the other - easily)...  BUT   we do have a driveway!  Haaah!!
Torys Vintage Sleds

Checkmarks

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
Not so fast with the seals.

Compression check first
Second put a timing light on the plug wires.  Eliminate the possibilities of the problem being in the ignition system.
Be sure it has fuel. That is carbs have fuel.  This means clean all the jets and port passages.

ALWAYS change the seals.  Five years old seals and you put them in, they are likely good!  Somebody says they put new seals in, well, I would not take chances with my pistons flowing out the pipe twenty miles down the trail.

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
Replaced CDI and both coils, electronics under flywheel check out. Compression same as when I rebuilt it, 165 and 167... Since I have had problems with leaking carbs, I am leaning towards crank seals. it does run, but starts hard and mag side doesn't run too good. wapping carbs and plug wires makes no difference.  That leaves either a plugged exhaust, or crank seals.  Not my first rodeo here....

Thinking I will be taking both sleds to Douglas  along with all my parts... anybody interested in a pair of sweet sleds... stop on out!! Make me an offer I can't refuse.