Author Topic: new guy looking for advice  (Read 8517 times)

kawinewbi

new guy looking for advice
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Hey all! I am totally new to this vintage sled sickness but the fever is getting stronger everyday!
I just picked up a couple of what I believe are '79 Invaders. One is a 340 that runs well but will need plenty of work. The other is a 440 with what appears to be factory twin pipes...maybe the "power up" kit that I uave heard a little about. The 440 I have not heard run. The guy I bought them from said the 440 runs but the primer does not work and that he'd dump gas down the plug holes to get it running. I have not had a chance to do a compression check on either yet but assuming the engine is not sticky it would appear to have decent compression just by how hard it is to pull over. At any rate, I know I have to pull both motors and replace the crank seals to be safe. The steering is pretty sloppy on both...especially the 340. They definately need new rubber bushings where the spindles attach to the skis and I wonder how hard they are to come by. Looking for seat covers for both also.
 I picked the pair up for $400 and feel it was a good deal not expecting two "ready to run" sleds. In my searches I ran across a guy in my area with a '78 340 project he would sell me for $400. The guy seem really helpful and meticulous. The project sled has less than 2000 miles and is complete minus the primary
cluch. He sent me some pics. The package includes two motors one has aaen spec porting but needs a re-chrome on one of the cylinders. The original motor has been completely rebuilt with new pistons, rings, trued crank, seals,  nos gaskets, media blasted block and jugs and looks real nice. I has the replacement track without the steel bars and is in good shape also. Heck, to me the engine alone should be worth the $. He has extra skiis nos gaskets, two hoods he said need work, a complete repro decal set including all warning decals, reflectors and more. Should I pull the trigger?
 Any advice or info on my sleds would be greatly appreciated. Looking for to the correspondance, looks like a good group of people to deal with!

jimvw57

Re: new guy looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
Nice looking pair of sleds. on a standard Invader, the addition of the dual pipes doesn't give that much of an increase in power, and it adds more weight. However, the stock 440 is no slouch! I think you'll be happy with the performance. the 340 has a bit different gearing for the smaller motor, and in my experience is a fun sled to ride! it takes off the line much quicker, but has a lower top end.

Invaders use a fuel pump that has an anti-siphon valve in the pump. That is what the primer is needed for. It bypasses the fuel pump to let the motor run and opens the anti-siphon valve so fuel can be pumped into the carbs.

Seat covers, I got one from Image Enterprise, and another from TKskinz.(Ebay) both are a good quality replacement.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:42:04 PM by jimvw57 »

kawinewbi

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
Thanks! I'm getting really excited about the project (s)! I plan on picking up the other 340 this coming weekend. My goal is to get two 340's as a matching pair for my boys as a Christmas present. The 440 will wait for later. It is a fairly clean sled and hoping it doesn't become a huge can of worms. I cant remember what site it was on but somebody said that in 1979 kawasaki offered a power up or "git kt" which had the twin pipes, a different type of mikuni carb set, milled heads and jugs with different porting. These were supposedly dealer installed and fairly rare...I guess. Not saying this is one of those machines but I am hopefull and am looking for more info on how to determine if it is or not. It could be someone just put ltd pipes on it...we'll see.

I will look into the place you got your seat covers from. Thanks much!

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
The Git kit pipes had a sleeve style flange, and the 4/6 pipes used a ball and socket style.  Jim is correct, just adding pipes doesn't do much other than adding weight.  But when combined with porting and clutching, will make quite a difference. 

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
a true git kit kicks azz....we sold rupp, merc, sno jet and kaw till they all quit on us.....we sold a customer a liq nitro that really kicked it, running av gas and turn the adjustable mains down,would rip on a stock vader pretty bad,[an exceptional nitro]with a git kit it was no problem,just walk away from the rupp

kawhead

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »
the instuctions and parts list use to be in the members section.

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
How did a Kit-ed Invader compare to the 4/6?

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
never ran them side by side but i'd bet on the git kit

gixxer6

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
I still have the Kit pipes and the porting specs you gave me.  Someday I need to find someone who can port my cylinders for me so that I can try it out. 

kawinewbi

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Well, here is a pic of the pipe flanges. Little bit of a bell shape I guess so thinking it has 4/6 pipes on it. What do you experts think?

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
Yup, those look like 4/6 pipes to me. 

kawhead

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
i also have a set of git pipes,and would like to port a set....and those aren't git pipes imo

kawinewbi

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! Woulda been a nice find but I'm still happy. Let the wrenching begin!!

kawhead

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
still a very nice find....congrats...

kawinewbi

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
Ok, so I picked up another invader. It is a lower mileage sled that the previous owner had started a resto on but lost interest when it came time to put back together. He had been busy collecting all kinds of parts...nos and used. The package came with a freshly rebuilt 340 and another 340 that is in good condition for the most part except for needing a rechrome on one of the cylinders. He said the jugs are aaen spec ported. I would like to possibly look into rechroming or re-sleeving and getting this motor up and running also but am concerned about what it may cost to do so, if I would need to use something other than the stock carbs and exhaust and so on. Any thoughts?