Author Topic: Bronze vs. Steel spindle bushings.  (Read 1212 times)

bryan_damone

Bronze vs. Steel spindle bushings.
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:38 PM »
So the spindle bearing used switched from bronze to steel one or two model years in. Does anyone  know if this switch was due to wear issues or a supplier/cost issue? I have collected some of each and wondering if there are any particular advantages of either?

Ameritude

Re: Bronze vs. Steel spindle bushings.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:06 PM »
I dont know the answer to your question.... but since you have  both types, do you have any idea where to find them?

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:06:19 PM »
The bronze one did not last long and steel is better but steel can also fail.  It's a hard life down there.  Ebay,  sled salvage places or put the question in the classified thread for that or anything else you need to sell or get.

bryan_damone

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »
Thanks Interceptor398. The bronze ones I do have seem to be in good shape and have the same dimensions as the steel ones. In both cases the clearances seem larger than you would expect/want. Not sure if there is any reason outside of lower production costs (less rejects), that these were designed this way.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:13:05 PM »
Bronze tend to be brittle and can be missing.  Yes the tolerance is a bit loose but if steering most of the slop is from there out.