Author Topic: Questions about Intruder 440  (Read 5621 times)

falcon7495

Questions about Intruder 440
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
79 Intruder 440:

I can start it on 3 pulls cold and ride off for about 20 minutes then it bogs down and then I have to 30 minutes before it will start back up. Any solutions? All the lights worked one time then the next nothing turned on at all? Very new to all this if I cant figure it out might be looking to sell, comes with extra hood and track.

kawhead

Re: Questions about Intruder 440
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
i'll beat jim to say crank seals on the running issues....a 79 was std reciol start, lites are prob volt reg... 80 was std e start, still prob reg/ rectfier

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
Crank seals are always a good place to start. But it sounds more like an electrical issue, possibly a coilor CDI failing once they get hot.

If it is an electric start model, do not run without a battery. The battery helps regulate the charging and running without will blow out all the bulbs and damage the regulator circuit.

falcon7495

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
ok it has a starter but no start button, and where would the battery go. The guy said he replace the seal so should I start with the cdi or voltage regulator. but it could use coils they like to come loose when it runs but never shuts off.

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
key full right is start....battery box is outside chain case....  v reg will not effect spark.....

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Sorry, I worded that wrong. It will run without a battery, but if you run it without a battery, it will blow all the light bulbs as the voltage regulator will try to raise the battery voltage (which isn't there) and put too much on the bulbs, and damage the regulator.

falcon7495

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
Ok so no battery but I can't find the voltage regulator.  The coil kept popping off which was the starting problem. Loving the help. The lights keep blowing really need help with the location I can't find it if it has one. I see the cdi box but not the regulator.

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
inside front bulkhead near middle of exaust,2 inch square,one bolt holds it to bulkhead.[ non e start models]

TWIN86GNS

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »

If it is an electric start model, do not run without a battery. The battery helps regulate the charging and running without will blow out all the bulbs and damage the regulator circuit.

Jim,

I have a 1980 Intruder which came with electric start (as they all did) but the battery has been removed along with some other wiring for the electric start, I didn't know it had electric start when I bought it last Spring, I learned that from this site. 

Also when I bought this machine the ignition switch had been disconnected because a previous owner had lost the key but I was given a new ignition switch along with a new key for the new switch.  On New Years Eve I removed the original switch and installed the new switch and started it up, all was fine and I turned the headlights on and ... you guessed it, once I reved it up a bit the headlight blew!!  I don't see a battery box or where a battery would mount but I would like to get this sled to have working head and tail lights so I can ride it a little more safely even during the day time.

I stopped into a local snowmobile shop and the guy working there figured it was a voltage regulator issue and putting a new one in would fix the issue but from reading your post I am not so sure.  What all do I need to do to get my headlights working without having the electric start hooked up?

Thanks for any and all help.

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Keswick, Ontario, Canada

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Keswick, Ontario, Canada

mswyka

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
Paul, you will need to swap in a regulator for a non-electric start model.  The non electric start regulators are available after-market from most retailers and will plug into the same connector as the electric start version.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

jimvw57

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
What mswka said.... The regulator changes the 12vAC into DC to charge the battery and uses the battery to even out the voltage flow. the non-electric start models use a 12vAC and don't depend on the battery to even things out. It's all in the regulator.

TWIN86GNS

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 01:51:36 AM »
mswyka and jimvw57,

Thanks for all of your help and insights.  I ordered a new after market voltage regulator (and 2 new ski shocks) on Thursday, hopefully all the parts should be in by Monday of next week. 

I will post how I make out with this "issue."

Thanks again for all of your help,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Keswick, Ontario, Canada
Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Keswick, Ontario, Canada