Author Topic: Vari Ride Hits Shock Shaft - What's Wrong...?  (Read 2359 times)

Macs80hp440

Vari Ride Hits Shock Shaft - What's Wrong...?
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
I've found several posts regarding swapping the vari-ride suspension onto an older sled.  It seems most posts say "it is worth it" and simple- just "install the spring brackets" on the rear portion to suit the vari-ride.  I did the install and it seemed to fit fine.  But, as luck would have it, something is not right...See pics for more details.

Main Problem:  When a load is put on the suspension the shock shaft/rod is hit by the suspension assembly itself.   This stops the smooth movement of the suspension and abruptly keeps it from full movement.  In other words, about half way into pushing down the suspension it hits the shock rod/shaft and stops.  In fact, if I were to put my full weight on it (all 280lbs) I'm sure it would bend the shock shaft/rod.

QUESTION:  What did I do wrong?  What did I skip?  Has anyone else had this problem?

ALSO:  I noticed the rear spring seems to nearly leave the rear axle cam that it rests in when the suspension is at rest (not loaded).

MY GUESS:  I was supposed to move the rear mount hole...  Is it that simple? 

See pics for details.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

booblover

Re: Vari Ride Hits Shock Shaft - What's Wrong...?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:53:41 AM »
You should have 32 3/4" center to center between your mounting holes on your tunnel.

kawhead

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
when thet talk about spring brackets they mean the assembly that moves the c line of the rear shaft to the rear approx 2 3/4 inches.... so move every thing back that amount, should be ok ;)

Macs80hp440

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
Yep- that did it.  I guess I should have realized that detail.  It actually quite simple- use the vari-ride metal hardware and it works perfect.  My mistake was using a older metal bracket and fitting into the tunnel in the "old" (wrong) location.  Anyway, I made it too difficult.  Thanks for the correction.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »
good deal...way better ride....