Author Topic: That outta do it - thank you Kawi Trax  (Read 2439 times)

Macs80hp440

That outta do it - thank you Kawi Trax
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
I wanted to extend a note of thanks for this site and its members.  Spring 2013 I started my first sled rebuild project with three Invaders into two.  Nothing fancy, just reliable old family trail riders with abundant parts and "help" available.  Needless to say, the project went outstanding in those two regards.  My first completed sled had it's final carb adjustments and typical field adjustments done two weeks ago.  The second one got assembled and ready to run today. 

Which brings me to why I'm saying thank you.  After many small engine projects you would thing a guy would be humbled enough to keep himself from thinking "...that outta do it...".  Today we spoke those words and yet it wouldn't start.  It sparked a few times with Backfires and Coughs.  We were convinced it was timing.  Yes- I marked the stator plate.  Yes- I put it back on those marks.  Yes- we had spark.  At one point we threw in the towel and went ice fishing.  After a few 'gills a cigar and some beers - I thought I'd research Kawi Trax for what I'm missing. 

Searching for discussions about "timing" I found several great insights:  1) the mark on the stator plate and case is a good starting point; 2) the timing has to be waaayyy off for it to not start- if it runs at all the timing is close; 3) do you have gas getting to the carbs; 4) is it getting too much gas (float stuck) backfires can be common with excessive fuel...but the one insight that wins today-  change the old plug with a new one.

Done.  It starts and runs enough to foul the new plugs while I'm bleeding the oil lines; and it runs enough to discover the head bolts are leaking antifreeze; and it runs enough to discover the kill switch and key doesn't shut it off.  (too funny).

Anyway- I thought anybody that tinkers and repairs anything has also spoke the words "that outta do it" and been quickly humbled.  Today I felt defeated for sure, but one quick search on KawiTrax and I'm back in the saddle again.  That outta do it.

I'll post pics of the sleds after I get them on snow.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

Checkmarks

Re: That outta do it - thank you Kawi Trax
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »
Here is a good tip for those 'fouled' plugs.  Do not throw them away, I doubt there is anybody that ever wears out a two stroke plug EVER.

Hold the plug with some pliers or I use a vice.  Get the hand torch and heat the metal end with the electrode up until the plug turns red (dull red or just before); think very hot.  Let it cool down and presto most of the time, notice I say most, the plug is back to good.  Buying a new set of plugs just sounds ridiculous to me anyways.  For those who would comment "just buy new plugs", have them send the "just $4" to my house.  One thousand of those people later and I have enough to buy my next Kawasaki.

Metalman

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I hear ya! Don't know how many times I said that on the Invader this weekend and it still isn't running! Now I have a fuel issue.

Hope that suspension worked out ok for you.

Macs80hp440

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
Here are some pics of the two sleds I rebuilt this year with the help of this site.  The orange one is on a '78 chassis with a '81 motor and hood.  The blue one is a '79 chassis with '78 motor, '81 suspension and pipe.  The orange one has stock clutch, the blue one has a couple adjustments to the springs and ramps.  The orange has stock carb settings with "7" jet needles and the blue has "4" jet needles.  Both with air box.

Orange still needs the carb tuned a bit, I think it is leaking past the bowl gasket (I didn't change those).  Blue is fully tuned and runs like an Indy Race Car.  Orange got to 75mph before the carb bowl gasket sprung a leak.  The Blue gets to 90mph and has mucho seat-of-the-pants thrust from 40-70mph.  I'm very pleased with it.

Anyway- this site and all the folks who contributed are the reason I pulled this off in less than a year.  Orange took over 100 hours with most of the learning curve, and Blue took about 50 hours with a quick rebuild on one cylinder after the circlip let loose.  They both ride great.  I consider them a fine addition to my family trail riding fun.

Thank you KawiTrax and everyone who contributed.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally