Author Topic: 78 Intruder  (Read 3132 times)

lipzahoy

78 Intruder
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
I have a 78 Intruder,new seals,gaskets ,carb boots,ETC.135 psi on both cylinders.When I start it cold the mag side doesn't seem to suck any gas and runs only on the clutch side.I put my hand over the carb completely for just an instant and it picks it up and runs perfect.It will start fine after that.Also I had to replace the mag seal over the summer with only a couple hundred miles on it.The seal was actually stuck to the crank when I tore it down.Any ideas why it went so quick,I have had the Intruder for 20 years and last year was the first time I changed the seals.Thanks.

kawhead

Re: 78 Intruder
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
make sure the mag choke cable has no slack with choke on,they will break in the flpper box on occasion and only pull one cable.....did you split the case to reseal?

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »
If the fuel pump leaks fuel into the motor, it will wash the oil off the crankshaft and the seal will weld itself to the shaft, and tear it out. Packing the seals on the back side with grease will help that from happening. And check your fuel pump pulse line for gas...

lipzahoy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
It doesn't have choke cables,just the plungers.The fuel pump was giving me trouble last year with fuel in the pulse line.I put a new diaphragm in it,seems to be working ok now.I think I will pull the motor and check the seal on the mag side to be sure.