Author Topic: clutch problems  (Read 2182 times)

Sledhead60

clutch problems
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
I was riding my 79 Invader yesterday, when it suddenly developed a bad vibration and felt like the belt broke. When I opened the hood, I discovered the primary clutch had fallen off! Don't know if the previous owner just didn't have it tight enough or? Threads on the bolt look ok, and it threads into the crank ok with a little play for the first few threads. Can't see any visual damage to the clutch, but the movable sheave will not slide back in, so I suspect there is damage. (Haven't torn it apart yet) I do have another clutch that will have to be cleaned first, but was wondering if I should use some loctite when I install it, and what the best method of holding it to torque the bolt would be. (Don't have a clutch holder tool) Would the old piece of rope in the spark plug hole trick be ok?

mswyka

Re: clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »
I have not experienced a similar problem.  The bolt should have three washers under the head.  Out of the factory I understood the washers would be slightly concave.  All of ours look flat, but they have been torqued down for a long time.  We normally put the bolt in with an impact wrench.  The wrench we use is rated for 500 foot pounds.  Since I have had more problems taking clutches off than I have had getting them on, I would be very reluctant to add thread lock etc.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:00:40 AM »
Loctite is not needed.  Like mswyka said make sure you have the 3 concave washers installed.  I don't recommend installing it with an impact.  The manual says to torque the bolt to 60-70 ft lbs.  Just make sure the taper on the crank and the clutch is smooth and clean and you will be good to go. 

For holding the clutch, I have used a tie down strap with one hook in the clutch cover and the other to the frame. 

kawhead

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »
I use an impact..lazy.....re torgue after once around the yard